Recommendation for Portable Music Devices for audiophiles please?

Ashley

May 13, 2008
I'd like to actually ask 2 questions, but more on the second question later.

My first question: I'm looking for a Portable Music Player that has top sound quality and meets my needs so can anyone provide some recommendations please?

First of all, no, I will not buy anything Apple related. The iPod has terrible sound quality and doesn't have much user freedom so that's completely out of the question.

Right now I'm using the Samsung R1 device and while the UI is a bit unresponsive and is laggy, it has loads of flexibility over the sound it's reproducing and it can play a wide array of formats including MP3, FLAC and WAV. It also contains a 7-band EQ ( going from 60Hz to 14KHz with each slider going up in increments of 2db), a separate tab for 3D and Bass, a separate tab for Clarity, an Audio Upscaler and a master EQ. This is just to give you an idea of the type of quality and control I expect.

The main reason that I want a new player is because this little Samsung R1 is only 16GB and I have a music library of 94.9GB (11,327 songs) so as you can imagine, I'm faced with a massive dilemma each time I want to put music on my device. So really, I'm looking for a 160GB music player.

I was going to go for a Cowon X7 which, on paper, sounds like the perfect device.... until I read Amazon reviews about it. Apparently, when the device runs out of battery, it dies.. as in... it's a bricked device. Just a paperweight. Which is a shame because I really liked the tech specs of that. So, is there anything that can do everything the Cowon X7 can do, but not end up like a paperweight?

So, onto my second question which is just a quickie. What music players for Windows do audiophiles use? I'm using MusicBee at the moment but I'd like to know what audiophiles use please.

Back