Puck Headlines: Top 10 rookies ranking; San Francisco gets pro team

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.

puck_headlines_top_rookies_ranking_san_francisco_gets_pro_team.jpg

</p>
• Someone threw a crab on the ice at the Washington Capitals' preseason game against the Nashville Predators last night in Baltimore. Mainly because the body of Omar Little is so hard to get through the turnstiles. [DC Sports Bog]

• Meanwhile, there's been some discussion about what Winnipeg Jets fans might toss on the ice as part of their new hockey traditions. Hockey Hourly's suggestion: "A bag full of loonies, while expensive for the tosser, would represent the city of Winnipeg, home of the Royal Canadian Mint." [Hockey Hourly]

Gabriel Landeskog of the Colorado Avalanche tops the THN top 10 Calder candidates. [THN]

Mike Modano on his retirement: ""I wasn't working out much. I wasn't skating. There wasn't motivation to do much. I was traveling and at that point, I said, 'Let's pick a day here and get the thing on the calendar.'" [ESPN Dallas]

Brendan Shanahan on his job as the new discipline czar: "It's important that the color analyst in Florida gets it right because fans will go to bed trusting in what he says. … Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I do believe that professionals want to get it right. And I am going to make as much information available as possible." [USA Today]

Marian Hossa is back at Chciago Blackhawks camp after Pavol Demitra's funeral and the birth of Hossa's daughter. [Tribune]

• It's writing like this that makes you mental as a hockey fan. Yep, the NBA lockout will put the NHL back on ESPN despite the 10-year contract the League has with NBC. Uh-huh. [Lakeland Times]

• Former NHLer Brent Severyn offers a glimpse as life as a hockey goon: "Here's the paradox: You must work yourself into a frenzy of emotions to fight, but outwardly curb those feelings. You still have to get through your day and do all the things that normal people have to do --- laundry; go to the grocery store, etc. -- while the frenzy inside your mind builds. But you can't expose it to the rest of the world. It's only acceptable to express it on the ice." [SI]

• Cool news for West Coast hockey fans: The ECHL has approved a franchise for San Francisco starting in the 2012-13 season. The League announced they'll be called the "Bulls", therefore ruining the incredibly fun speculation about what a professional hockey team in San Francisco should be called. [ECHL, via Charles Gee]

• Damien Cox floats a Kyle Turris for Tyler Bozak swap for the Phoenix Coyotes and Toronto Maple Leafs, completely forgetting that Turris never played in the NCAA and hence is persona non grata to Brian Burke. [Toronto Star]

• Tony Gallagher rushes to the defense of Cody Hodgson: "Had the Sedins been through half of what's been thrown in this guy's path they'd be whimpering wrecks by now. Granted the Sedins were brought onto a lesser team …" [Post Media]

• Good stuff from Ryane Clowe on Joe Thornton as captain of the San Jose Sharks: "A couple times, especially when we were going through that losing streak, he spoke up and was more direct, kind of aggressive with a couple guys. … He made sure everyone stayed in their place a little more than in the past. It was good. I don't think it was more than I expected, but it was a little bit tougher to do in previous years. Guys responded well and that was important." [Working the Corners]

• The Adirondack Phantoms have announced that the first ever Jimmer Fredette bobblehead will be available on February 4, 2012 for the first 2,500 fans. Said Executive Vice President Chris Porreca: "We are most thankful to local legend Jimmer Fredette for allowing us to present his first ever bobblehead as we honor the most popular local athlete in Glens Falls history." [Phantoms]

• A letter to the NHL off-season, which was rather brutal, no? [NHL Hot Stove]

• Handicapping the Canadian teams' chances, including the Edmonton Oilers: "It would be charitable to call this Defense porous, as sad a collection of castoffs and damaged goods as you're likely to find. Combine that with a goaltending tandem, both of whom would be lucky to have a backup job on any other team and neither of which could catch rubber in a Trojan factory." [Proud 2 Puck]

• Peter DeBoer is still trying to figure out who the New Jersey Devils are, so it's going to be a while before Lou Lamoriello picks a captain for him. [Devils]

• From Rich Hammond: "A handful of players who are considered more veteran AHL guys are given stalls in the Kings' locker room. The stall between Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene is being used by Viatcheslav Voynov. Since 2008, it has been occupied by Drew Doughty." [LA Kings Insider]

• Why Nick Schultz's No. 55 should be retired one day by the Minnesota Wild. [Wild Puck Banter]

• A look at what goes into converting an arena presented by Amway into a hockey rink. No, not the Joe … [Orlando Sentinel]

• Finally, Dylan McIlrath and Stu Bickel mix it up in a spirited training camp scrap for the New York Rangers. [NYR Blog]

Back