problem with the rpms on my truck?

santino1932

Jul 2, 2008
i have a 1998 olds bravada. it has a 4.3 engine 4 wheel drive automatic tranny. now the problem doesn't happen all the time but it does happen when im driving. ok when im at a stop or leaving to work i accelerate and and sometimes the rpm gauge will jump up a little higher than i am accelerating then it will jump way down. when it jumps up it goes to about 3000-3500,and when it falls it goes to 1500. it also seems to be idling a little high when im warming it up but i think that's because its been very cold out here(chicago). im hoping its not a trans problem. i also noticed its making a very hard growling sound when i accelerate. i checked the levels on the oil and trans both are good, i had the trans flushed and oil changed. it only has 76000 miles on it. is there anything i should check. or can a diagnostic check the engine and trans, i know more about the engine than i do the trans. to me it doesnt seem to be running the same since the tranny flush but it could be anything. i want to take it to a shop but the last 2 have gave me bad advice and changed parts that prob didnt need to be changed or couldnt find the problem and started guessing what the prob was. n wanted to start doing repairs that prob didnt need to be repaired which would put alot of money in there pocket and not help the problem. so what can i do first before i take it in what should i look for. most of all the repairs i have done so i am capable of doing the repair myself but the trans i know nothing about except checking the level. so any help will help before i take it in or back to firestone. but even they said if there is something wrong with the trans they wouldnt know what to do (i know nice for a place that offers a trans flush and not really do repairs on trannys). so thanks for any advice, and if you have any questions about this problem leave your email and i ll email you back. thanks again

see if you hear the grinding noise if you put the car in neutral and rev the engine. if you only hear it when your driving it could be your trans. or lots of other things in the drivetrain

Back