Problem keeping my internet connection on a network?

StevenS

May 17, 2008
Ok i think I have a unique problem... I live in a dorm and I get free wireless internet from my roommates linksys router. On my laptop's on board wireless card I can connect to the linksys router to get internet. my problem is i was trying to network my desktop with my laptop so I can get internet on my desktop. I used a cross over cable and bridged the connections on the laptop. I have access to the net on both but my desktop seems to lose internet connection every 5 min and the only way to get it back is to us the repair button on my LAN connection. I think it has something to do with the DNS because i notice i get internet right after it says "Cleaning DNS cache / registering with DNS" during the repair. also my laptop is running windows vista and my desktop is using XP Service pack 2.
on my desktop I have it set to manual IP and DNS settings my roomate gave me. We are both stumped. I can't afford to buy a 30ft cable to connect my desktop to his router nor can i afford to buy a wireless card for my desktop.
When I put the tcp/ip settings to optain ip and DNS automatically on my desktop I lose internet.

Back