Pinion/Yoke movement in 2001 Dodge 3500 dually?

BordersandQuarters

Sep 28, 2011
My husband and I have spent our evenings for the last week replacing the rear pinion seal on our 2001 Dodge 3500 dually. While we were at it, we replaced the rear axle yoke, the seal that goes on the yoke, the U-joint, the pinion nut, and the clamps that hold the U-joint, yoke, and drive shaft together.

Tonight we finally finished (we both work long hours and have been doing this after work) and there seems to be a little bit (less than a quarter inch) of movement in every direction. We put on about 250 lbs of torque on the pinion nut as directed by the dodge manual so now we're concerned that the rear dif might be screwed.

Should there be a little bit of movement like that? And is it normal that it still make a bit of a howling sound when driven?

There is avery good possibility that the idiot parts man at our local Dodge dealership gave me the wrong yoke... I have been back and double checked but Im really not sure he's smart enough to pick up on his own mistake. (Im really not trying to be a b**** but 6 trips to town for parts seems a little excessive when he has a computer that TELLS him which parts we need... this could have been DONE a week ago- done ranting now).

Should the little rubber seal on the yoke sit fairly flush with the pinion seal? Ours doesn't really which is really leaving reason for concern but we're both pretty tired so we might be over thinking things too...

Back