Packard Bell laptop keeps freezing?

CraigK

Oct 17, 2008
I have a Packard Bell EasyNote MV35-202 running on Windows XP.

I got it for Christmas 2006 so is quite old by computer standards. The problem I am having is it keeps freezing after about an hours use, there is no response at all, even the power switch does not work for a forced shut down, I am needing to unplug it and remove the battery to turn it off.

It takes a couple of hours before it will start up again but then it runs normally till it freezes again, if I turn it back on straight away all that happens is the power light and built in indicator lights come on, a sound is made by the CD drive as though it is powering up but there is nothing from the HDD, as though it is not spinning up. If I leave it the CD drives keeps making the same sound every few minutes but nothing else happens, though the power button does work when this happens meaning I do not need to remove the battery and power lead.

I do not know if this is relevent but I had to replace the power lead about a month ago as the last one started sparking and producing smokes.

If anyone can help me resolve this, please do. Because the laptop was my first computer and is quite old there is a lot of sentimental value with it and I do not want to replace it, also none of my software works on Vista or 7 so getting a new computer would be expensive in terms of new software.

Back