oldsmobile truck turning off while driving?

santino1932

Jul 2, 2008
its a 98 olds bravada 4.3 engine. i've taken the truck to two shops, a retired mechanic and no one can find the problem, but want to charge 89-98 dollars an hour to guess whats the problem. i've changed the alternator and ignition coil (90 dollars -150 dollars) and they are not the problem, but the mechanics said that was the problem. i am not spending another dollar on shops. i've checked the alt wires the starter wires battery is yr old(battery was changed because old battery had it) checked the battery cables, had the old and new alt and new battery checked in the truck and out of the truck and passed both times also there are no shorts that i know of maybe there's a short doing this not sure but it never showed up on the diagnostic checks i have gotten done on the truck. what is happening is when i'm driving (and not all the time) i watch the battery gage drop drop drop then go back to the center line then again drop drop drop go back up to the center line. then all of a sudden drop drop drop truck shuts off like the alt drained the battery. when i pull over it starts right back up no problem and the gage goes back to normal. the fuel pump is good and the injectors are also good. its been a problem for 2 yrs and i want to get it taken care of before the winter. when i replaced the side post screw cause it was stripped on the threads it stopped doing that for a long time then it started up again. i checked it there is no corrosion and the threads on the battery and screw are good. so please some one give me some things i can check other than the stuff i already checked im at a lose. and the fuses have all been checked they are good.

check to see if your cables moves while the bolts are tight i had one to do the same thing and even though my battery bolts where tight the cables still was lose i put a washer behide the bolt and fixed my probelm it would be a good try also look and make sure that your other gauges arent moving when this is going on cause your ing. switch could be going out

Back