Oil pressure drop in my 96 jeep grand cherokee? added oil, now its too full?

Ariana

May 18, 2008
I was driving my jeep down the street when all of the sudden the oil pressure just dropped and the check gauges light came on. I pulled over and checked the dipstick and it said it was almost completely empty. i had someone drop some oil off where i pulled over, and refilled it with about 3 qts, let it settle and turned the car back on. on the way back home the meter kept fluctuating between too high and just perfect, so i parked and let it sit for a day. checked it today and it was WAY too high. is it safe to even drive with too much oil? is it possible to drain some of the oil by myself instead of having to pay for another oil change (i just had one done about a month ago)? anyone know whats wrong with my car?

dont drive it with too much oil, the high pressure can mess the internal parts of the engine up, but yea you can usually drain some oil out by crawling underneath with a catch pan and loosen the oil pan drain bolt on the bottom of the engine...make sure its not hot wile you do that cuz if you get oil on urself it will burn like hell. good luck!

the reason for the oil fluctuating like that was you put cool oil in a hot engine, as it warmed up to temprature thats what is likely to happen. If your vehicle was several quarts low, there is usually some reason, possibly when you had the oil changed they used a lighter engine oil than you used to? this could cause an engine to lose oil quickly. what ever the reason if it lost a few quarts in a month, drive it. It will burn up the excess any way, As long as it is like a half a quart or less you should be fine. you can always go under the vehicle and remove the oil drain plug briefly and let some oil drain in a pan, it just gets your fingers messy for a few seconds.

Back