Newbie: Should I go for it as a starter?

AkiraS

Jul 24, 2008
Hi,

I came across an ad in my country (Malaysia). I am new in the DSLR world and targeting to join the club. =). I just wanna ask is it worth it to start with the items below? Or should I buy 600D or 60D with kit lens instead? Or body only and go with 24-105L?

Price : RM 2 800

canon EOS40D For Sale At RM2800 (nego)
items included will be
- 17-55 wide angle lens
- battery grip
- lens filter
- 4GD CF card

* I haven't contacted the seller and don't have the shutter count.
p/s- I haven't thought of what kind of photographer I would be. But most probably would love to take photo of people, street photography and on vacation trips.

Hey,

The 40D is a great camera, but the 17-55mm lens (in my opinion) is not worth the high price tag. It's just a bit sharper than the 18-55mm for $100, but of course the f/2.8 aperture is great. However, there are other zooms with f/2.8 with much better quality from Canon, for similar prices.

The 24-105mm as you mentioned is a great lens, especially for trips and street photography! Aperture f/4 is relatively wide, but the 600D and 60D have great high ISO performance.

The 60D has 5.3 vs 3.7fps, better AF, better build quality, brighter and bigger viewfinder, top LCD screen and that would be it.

Here's a DSLR Buying Guide - http://www.the-dslr-photographer.com/2009/11/which-dslr-to-buy/

Back