Need to get a tmobile smartphone samsung vs htc?

StevenJCampbell

Feb 9, 2011
I am switching from iPhone and AT&T and from what I can tell the phones I can afford will be:

Htc mytouch 4g
Tmobile g2
Or samsung galaxy s 4g (when it launches)

The mytouch vs g2 is obvious - the mytouch wins.

However should I wait for the new galaxy phone?
The big question:

IS SAMSUNG THAT BAD AT UPDATING ANDROID?
from what I've read they're terrible at updates to android and i don't want that headache.

What do you think?
I ALWAYS PICK A BEST ANSWER PERSONALLY so please answer with good in depth detail!

I have owned a few HTC Android devices (G1, MyTouch 3G, Nexus One). I love HTC devices. I have never seen a Samsung Android device for which I would give up my Nexus One (but I wouldn't give it up for anything, anyway).

Samsung has been known to lag behind in Android updates. My other issues with them is that it can be difficult to root and mod Samsung devices, something that's not the case with HTC phones. That may not matter to you much, but it's a big thing for hackers like me.

On the other hand, I've seen T-Mobile be a bit slow with some updates. My daughter waited 10 months for her MyTouch 3G to be updated from Android 1.6 to 2.2.1. Now, a lot of newer, faster devices hit T-Mobile this year, and all carriers tend to update the newer devices first, since they're usually better configured for the system update versions.

Anyway, between the two HTC phones, the 4G is the better device. Faster, more current version of Android. There's nothing wrong with the G2. I would just take the 4G because of its faster hardware and other features.

Back