Need some info on a boat motor please!?

RolandofGilead

Jul 24, 2008
My father and I have been working on his boat that hasn't seen any action for 4 years. We got the bad boy out, changed the oil, drained out the old gasoline, changed the spark plugs, put new points and a router and cap on it. We've still been having some problems with getting it started. It will start, but we can't keep it running in idle. If we rev the motor and hold it in gear, it stays running, but we just can't get it to idle.

My girlfriend's grandfather said that the fuel line could be clogged up, or gunked up and it may need to be cleaned. However, I have no idea which one is the fuel line, and how to take it off, clean it and replace it.

Please let me know if you have any idea on what the problem could be, and if you think it could be the fuel line, please inform me on where to find it and how to take it off.

Again, it is a Mercruiser 3 liter alpha 1 engine, 90 hp. We think it could be similar to an 89 or 90 pontiac car engine.

Thanks!

I have had similar clogging problems with demolition derby cars. Dirt gets loose and finds its way into any filter or screen particularly now that this ethanol fuel is used. There is a cone shapped screen on the inlet fuel port of many carborators that may be clogged. Remove the fuel line at the point it screws into the carborator and you should find the screen. While the line is off you may as well blow compressed air in that line back to the tank (with the gas cap off) to clear any other possible obstruction.

Back