Mysterious complimentary cruise offer in the mail? Is this a scam?

~m~2

Mar 18, 2009
I just got a letter in the mail saying,"Happy Birthday, ___Name here___! (Except there was my full name there)
In celebration of your birthday, you were verified and as a result of this offer your name and Ticketing Number have been Issued! You will receive a Complimentary 8 Day/7- Night Cruise for 2 with an outside cabin, leaving from any major port in the U.S."

It says its Carnival Cruise OR Princess Cruise.
They also gave me a photocopy of the cruise ticket inside the envelope.
The weird thing is, I didn't sign up for any contest or anything and my birthday is coming up too.

To me, this sounds a little too good to be true...
There is a number to call at the bottom but I want to get other people's opinions on it first.

Thanks in advance! : )

There are no free lunches. You probably missed the fine print that says....You have to buy the plane tickets through the folks that sent it to you or ...it may be for one person and you have to pay for the other person...something like that.

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Is is probably just a scam to get your phone no. Since they already have your address, that might be enough to do some damage to your identity or your wallet.

Call them from a pay phone to see if it is legit, even if you have to pump several $ in coins in it (use a pay phone so their caller ID will not work). I am betting you get no response. DO NOT give them ANY additional Personal info of ANY kind.

Its probably a phishing scam. If you call they'll give you some crap about needing your credit card number for some minor fee but then the rest of free type thing. They may be phishing for other personal info too. Be careful with it.

Add'l info: You might find this messageboard thread of interest:
http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/8669601929

Back