My mum turned vegetarian and now she won't cook any meat for me, I'm a terrible cook

Jen

May 12, 2008
First off, I see no issue with you living with your mom--I'm 21 and still living at home with my mom (she's a single parent, I don't keep in touch with dad, we have a small family, etc).

However, I do see an issue with you wasting food. If you can't cook meat, don't. You do not need meat to survive. I'm not trying to convince you to go Vegetarian, because obviously if you wanted to you would have already, but you do not need meat to survive. If you cannot cook, go get a pound of pasta. Boil some water. Read the box and see what it says on how to cook it. You really can't fuck up pasta too bad. After you master the art of cooking pasta, buy some prepackaged chicken tenders and cook them according to the box. You really can't mess up boxed foods too horribly. However, boxed foods aren't always the best for you--But you have to start off slow.

Or, maybe ask your mom to share her meals with you? I dunno, to earn my free room and board here, I cook and clean. My mom gives me money for groceries and won't buy my "elaborate Vegan items" so I totally see why your mom won't buy you meat if you keep wasting it.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but seriously, please stop wasting food. Learn to cook simple things (pasta, rice, beans) before you cook the more elaborate dishes. You have to crawl before you can walk.

and I can't buy takeout? let me try my question again i need to put in some extra info

I'm an adult and live in my mum's flat (which is normal over here - housing is pretty much the most expensive in the world - read at the bottom too, important!) and she's a single mother (so also has less income than most families). I don't have any other family her parents are dead and she's an only child and we're not in touch with my father's family. Anyway I never cooked before in my life until several months ago. In fact I actually had to plead with her to give me money so I can buy my meat. Well I'm a TERRIBLE cook. No matter what happens I keep getting food not cooked right and they're always too raw, or sometimes overcooked it, sometimes it's burned, and every single time it simply tastes awful I had to throw away a lot of what I cooked. And my mum won't even help she leaves me do it all myself and would lock herself in her room when I'm cooking. Yet she yells at me because I'm wasting money on food that I'm not eating. Well my solution was to go out and buy ready made meat from takeout places. But she claims they're too expensive and won't give me the money for them anymore so all I can afford is buy the raw ones to cook myself. That or her best suggestion, just don't eat meat like her.

Please help

I have read cookbooks and got recipes, but they simply don't help.

I'm a student have no money. And she won't let me get a job until I graduate so don't tell me to just do so.

It simply is the way it is here. Everyone lives pretty much like me when we're adults. Almost all the kids don't move out their parents homes until they're married and both sides have to work their asses off for money and they 90% of the time still can only afford to rent and not buy. And a young 22 year old living themselves (even renting) can only be found in rich families. I know some people in their 30s still living with parents because they don't have enough money for a place of their own - it's very much the norm here. So no, I'm not living off of my mum simply because I'm taking advantage of her so don't tell me that. It's simply the living style of everyone here, and it's what we have to live with, in fact many parents don't like to let their kids move out. And don't say I'm doing nothing in my mum's place. I help clean it and I do all the washing. I hope you understand the situation where it is where I live. Seems not the same living style that some of you have and it's really is different so please respect us and understand our culture. If you don't understand and can't put yourself in our shoes and think, don't answer the question if your culture is different and you expect every culture to follow yours! Thankyou very much for that

You're mom just became a vegetarian, basically saying she wants nothing to do with meat. To force her to cook it for you doesn't make sense because she doesn't want to have anything to do with it. Sorry she never taught you how to cook but maybe you can take some classes or even youtube since it's visual and you can go along with the video at your own pace. You're going to have to learn somewhere along the line anyway. If you can't get a job you and your mom should negotiate a food allowance for you, that way you don't have to keep going back to her and asking. Maybe your mom will let you get a part time job if you and her cannot agree on a food allowance for you to purchase the things you like, just enough for you to pay for some foods. Maybe you could sell avon (I'm assuming you live in the uk) since it's can be done online.
I did not mean to disrespect your culture, i didn't know what culture you are (and i might still be wrong)

Learn to cook. Practice unti you get it right. I see no solution other than that. Everyone who now knows how to cook made some mistakes along the way. No reason it should be any different for you. I hope that whatever you're studying in school, you take a different attitude than "I read it and it didn't help". Many things require more than reading to learn how to do. What a shame your mother didn't start preparing you for eventually living away from her a bit earlier. I and my brothers were all capable of producing an edible meal by the time we were in our early teens. It doesn't matter what culture you come from, sooner or later everyone needs to know how to do certain things for themselves.

Cut your meat in thin slices and then steam it. Boil some water in a pot and then use a bowl or a special pan to let the steam cook the meat. Have a lid on top so the heat stays inside.

It is almost impossible to burn it this way. It can only hurt the pot if you boil it until all the water escapes.

Back