my mum keeps arguing with me about donating blood, can anyone shed some light?

Christine

May 16, 2008
Well first off im 18 so i wont be needing her permission or anything about donating. Honestly, i dont even know where to start with this. I have tried speaking to her nicely about what her reservations are about my choice of donating but often this just results in tears on my part and my mother remaining stubborn as usual. She says five things mainly:

1. First off the fact that i cant claim any goverment benefits even if i wanted to so WHY?! when the government has "turned their back on me".

2. She repeatedly rants about how selfish i am in every other aspect of my life like not letting her come into my room and Why i can't be selfish about this for once.

3. That she has gone through the hardship of raising me and essentially she didnt raise me to just give something so important away to people i dont even know.

4 That if my family needed blood i couldnt even give it to them because i would have given away most of it to the state.

5. And last but not least i am an idiot and i should be shrewd like her because i havent realised yet how this will affect me, apparently it will make me ill and i will never recover.

All my life i have argued with my mother about things like this where basically she just thinks im an idiot and being taken advantage of. Im moving out soon so at last i can somewhat escape from her negativity. What can i do? Is it possible to change the way my mother feels? Often in this case i have to resort to something selfsh to say to make her understand like "Im doing this because i want good karma so that when im in trouble i may be more likely to get help", when the truth is it doesnt really matter to me, just that right now i can help people so why not.

Back