My dream is to work on a cruise ship in the hospitality industry what do i do to...

Loz

Jun 6, 2008
...get there? My dream is to work on a cruise ship in the hospitality industry what do i do to get there?
In aready doing a diploma in hospitality and catering, what do I do once I have finished it?

Hey me too but on super yachts ..It depends which country your in but in s.a you need to have (b1/b2) what ever that is and some experience in the sailing and cooking industry ..it would be a wise idea to join your local yacht club and ask around ..or send out a C.V at any local cruise ship industry.but otherwise go and ask a crew member of one of those huge ships..networking networking networking its vital!

Start here: http://www.oceanopportunities.com/hotel_and_entertainment/

Most of the other cruise lines have a recruitment site. For some reason, most of the major cruise companies recruit a lot of their hotel staff from the Philippines.

go to the cruise ship line web site and see what jobs are open. if there is something you can do, fill out an application.

Your Director should be able to advise you, you're getting you diploma aren't you?

Be advised that you share your bunk bed with other cruise ship employee, put lots of longer hours, day & night, many activities to keep you going like the Energizer Bunny. Also you need to be a good swimming! Being able to work 6 months in a row, far far away from your friends & families, hardly get a vacation during the holidays. The tips from the cruisers are what you get for income. not bonus pay.

Job Centres can give you (sell you) the booklet/info pack on working on cruise ships as a steward but remember, you only get a few dollars a month pay (for doing the weekly boat stations drill) and after that you depend on tips.
I used to be a steward in the days you was under British flag and got proper pay as well, I'm not sure I agree with this new arrangement on flag of convenience ships, that said, loads of people do it.
You learn what it is like to race the clock.

OLD KNOW ALL: The Philippines is the worlds biggest supplier of cheap crews for ships in every respect, the 'Flip Flops' are detested by the rest of the worlds seamen for putting them out of work by undercutting everyone.

Back