My dog has become destructive and is always whining and pacing,what's wrong?...

Ken

May 11, 2008
...Labrador/Australian Shepherd mix? We adopted her about 4 and a half months ago. She's 14 months old and is very hyper. I'm still in school but I let her out in the yard and play with her before school and as soon as I get home I play with her and let her out. We go for walks in the evening and everything too,once before I do my homework and once again right before she goes in her crate for the night, each walk is about 20 - 30 minutes long.

That was working out well at first. She seemed to be happy after her walks and playing with me. She'd play with her toys on her own or rest/nap. Now she's constantly whining at the door even if we've just came in,she's been getting into a ton of more trouble by chewing on furniture,jumping up on everyone(which we had already stopped her from doing) and most of all just pacing back and forth in the house and outside. Does she need more exercise? We've tried switching out her toys,giving her new ones to play with and we've tried giving her things to chew on(like those raw hide kinda bone things). That worked for about a week but she went right back to it. If she needs more exercise,how much and what kind? Should I extend her walks? By how much? Or will just playing with her in the yard more help?
I'm just 13 so I don't know a lot about doggy sports. But it's my dog and my responsiblity. I want her to be happy and I want my mom to be happy too. How do I train her for agility or any of those things --Dog Section Regular-- suggested?

She needs way more exercise. Both of those dogs are working dogs, meaning they are breeds that were bred with a specific job in mind. The Lab is for retrieving and the shepherd is for herding. Without that stimulation the brain has nothing to do. Consider starting something like agility training with your dog, it will give him the focus he needs and get him to settle down a little. Also longer walks, at least 3-5 miles a day.

Uh, yeah, she needs more exercise. She's mixed with to energetic working breeds.

Walks won't cut it. This dog should get involved in a sport. Maybe playing ball with a chuck-it, swimming, jogging, fly ball, etc.

Good god lots of more exercise is needed! This dog needs to run around to basically survive.

These breeds are WORKING dogs and highly intelligent and as such require LOTS of exercise daily and games that keep them motivated when you get them in a routine they will relax more. You might consider racing and agility training. good luck

Back