My best friend is always copying me? Please read? Sorry about the ranting.?

alexander

Jun 4, 2008
I met him like 3 years ago, in fifth grade. The only thing we had in common at the time, was that we were both Canadian ( I live in the UAE). But he copies EVERYTHING I do. And Im dead serious when i say everything. I could stay up all night and write a list of things he copied me with, but here are a few:

Converse: The shoes. No one at my school wore them (they werent in fashion in the UAE like year ago). Now, almost everyone in the grade wears em, because I bought a pair, then he copied me, then other people copied him etc.

Guitar: I play guitar. I told him I was getting a Les Paul for christmas, and surely enough, so did he, even though he cant play.

Drums: I also play the drums, and now he wants to learn that.

Band: Im in a band. Guess what? Hes starting a band too, once he learns how to play his guitar.... WTF?

Quad: Its like a 4 wheeled motor bike. I got one two years ago, a Yamaha Raptor. Surely enough, a month later he got a quad too, but it wasnt the same as mine. Now he told me recently that he was trying to convince his mom to get him a Raptor.

Expressions & Insults: This one really pisses me of ALL THE TIME. Hes always copying my insults, my comebacks etc. He even uses my comebacks against me. I have a habit of using expressions alot in one week, then in the other using different ones. He always uses the same ones i use. Same for msn talk and icons. I use the "+o(" icon alot. now whada ya know? he uses it like every two minutes. same with smileys etc.

Rip Stik: I got this wave board from toys R us. its called a rip stik. i taught him how to ride mine, cause he was harassing me. Next thing you know, he has one.

Socks: this one isnt big but still. in 5th grade, at the beginning, we both used to wear our socks like all the way up. the moment i started rolling them down and wearing shorter ones, so did he.

Music: At first, it was Linkin Park. I really liked them he didnt even know them when i asked him. i said ok, told him it was my favourite band and thats it. Next thing you know, its his favourite band. Same thing happened with Green Day recently. He knew them, cause i asked him and he said that he didnt like them much. Then i told him oh okay, theyre my new favourite band. And guess what. Next thing you know hes IN LOVE with greenday.

PSP: I got a psp. He got a psp.

iPod: I got an iPod Touch, he got an iPod Touch.

Hes even dating my Ex Girlfriend!!

Those are a few of the things. He also tries to dress like me and stuff. What can I do, nicely, for him to get my point? I just want him to understand that hes an awesome person, and when he tries too, he has a really good sense of style. And that he should be his own person, not copy me all the time. What also pisses me off though, is that he has a little sister who is like 09 i think, And she copies EVERYTHING he does. and hes always complaining (he shouldnt talk). But actually shes copying me, since he does what i do. She has a rip stik, shes getting a guitar, she wears converse, shes getting an iTouch, she got the same stereo system as him (thats another thing he copied from me), and she apparently loves greenday too. she got a quad. Basically it pisses me off that he copies me a bit, but the reason i want him to stop is because she copies off him, then their neighbour copies off her, and next thing you know, everyone does/has it. Any ideas how I can get him to stop? I dont want to be mean though, were best buds. Btw, sorry about the ranting! Thanks
hahah i still want to be friends though.
Were in Junior High

First, let me just say that as annoying as it might be "imitation is the most sincere form of flattery"
Now that we have that out of the way, sometimes things seem more cool when people we like are doing them. He may not be copying you on purpose (although it does seem a bit excessive), it might just be that he likes you and so what you do and the stuff you have seems cooler to him. While this can make a friendship stronger in small amounts, it can be damaging if done to the extent that you're talking about. Have you told him that you find his copying annoying? If he is you best friend, maybe you need to help him find himself again, like, help him figure out what HE really likes, rather than what you like. Whatever you do, he probably isn't going to stop unless you talk to him about it. I would start with that.

Oh wow thats really weird...I like Linkin Park and have a guitar (and play!) and some other stuff you have...im going to copy you next. Hahahah no just kidding :) Hes just kinda attached to you. You can probably get him off your back by showing him another friend, or maybe in high school (Right? Your going tinto high school soon?) you wont have many classes with him and then you will eventually separate.

you're a pretty cool guy. I think the boy envies ur unique style, which causes other people 2 copy him which technbically coping u!!! That boy needs 2 find his own unique style. Confront him about it & if he doesn't back off, tell him 2 suck his freakin d*ck, and stop coping u. if he still doesn't go and pretend 2 kick urself [ don't worry u wont get hurt] and he'll try 2 and u'll say " hey, " buddy' need helpand u kick him in his nuts and say in a sarcastic tone " isn't it nice 2 coipy me'; and leave and run like nothing happend. that'll teach that copycater a lesson!!

confront him tell him that you don't want him to keep copying you , and if he uses that agenst you be like "No i said that before STOP COPYING ME YOU STUPID IDIOT," and soon enough he'll get the point and stop , and if he still does copy you tell him again ,
Hope i helped

I hate people like that,
you should kick his ass.

:] violence solves everything

Maybe you should just be flattered that he likes you so much that he wants to be like you. I would just let him go. His wanting to be just like you will probably fade eventually. I'm trying to put myself in your place and when I do I just don't see this bothering me all that much.

I agree with Monty. Spend less time with him so he can figure out what he really likes to do. When I stopped hanging out with my friends as much I really started to do the things I wanted to do and to try the things that my friends never wanted to try when we would hang out. I never copied my friends, it was more like the other way around, but it still gave me time to do the things I wanted to do and really figure out who I was rather then being attached at the hip with my friends.

It appears rather then copy you, you friend looks up to you and wants to be cool like you so he copies or does the same things you do. Its a form of trying to impress you.

See the glass half full and think of yourself as a trend setter.

There's really not a lot you can do about it in reality. You can try to talk to him, but depending on the words you choose you're likely to hurt his feelings or something and the friendship will go downhill from there.

Something you could try, though it may backfire is copy the things he does and see if it has an effect or come right out and ask him why he does. Make it sound good though, point out the good in him and the things you like about him, might make it easier.

Good luck!

Back