My '98 Volvo S70 has an occasional jerky "rumble" in the engine, and the RPM gage

Dev

Jun 10, 2008
My '98 Volvo S70 has an occasional jerky "rumble" in the engine, and the RPM gage

will spike up to 3K? The car has never given me any trouble before this. This just ocurred last Thursday, and that same day, the check engine light came on. It does not do this every time I drive it. Sometimes when I am going about 50-60 mph, the engine will "stutter," or run heavily, almost as if it were running out of fuel, but only for a second or two. When it does this, the RPM spikes from 2000 to 2500-3000.

I initially thought it may need more transmission fluid, but my Volvo mechanic said that the ($500!) transmission fluid he put in will last a lifetime. Is this true? The manual says it should be replaced every 10,000 miles, so I'm not really sure which to believe.

Also, I don't know if this is related or if it was just a fluke, but just the other night, when I was switching from reverse to drive, the transmission made a very brief scratching noise. It has only done this one time.

If anyone could give me some advice, I would appreciate it.

Back