MMA (submission wrestling/grappling) Skill Question SERIOUS?

AskAway1

Jul 6, 2008
Let me give you my background; (prepare yourself for a long read)

I am a 6'1, 185 pound, 17 year old male. I am a VERY amatuer MMA fighter. I am in decent shape, a slender frame, but also with broad shoulders from my 5'8 "Y-Guy" dad. I could bulk up (so i'm not like a stick) but i have to lose a bit of excess weight in fat. I'm working on that with 1 1/2 months at the gym every day of the week. Before that i ran 2 miles a day for 10 months, so my cardio system is quite alright.

My friend and I have been messing around occasionally with submission wrestling/grappling for about 6 months. We both watch UFC (and i practically study it), so we are familiar with how things work. I also am familiar with positions and moves. I know the technique for quite a few fancy moves, but that's not what i am asking. I want to know how to beat him.

Let me tell you about him;
He is 6 ft, 215 pounds, 16 year old male. Although he has excess weight too (more than me, he's built like a block), he's also VERY strong, and he's been heavy lifting at the gym for three months. In Grappling knowledge, he doesn't know how to apply alot, so he's very predicable.

Now, before i start, let me say this. He has NEVER beaten me. i would say about 15-0. I always get him in either a rear naked choke, (either) triangle choke, or an armbar. Even once where i didn't realize we were actually competing till halfway through the fight, and i laid there in a rear naked choke with my chin down for like 30 seconds until i pulled out and got an arm triangle. I could probably do arm or leg submissions (heel hook, gammora, americana, etc.) but i don't want to break his arm, and he also has a lot of muscle on them.

our fights are ALWAY very predicable;
we will normally circle each other (as best as we can, since we are never on mats) i will fake a few take downs, and then he will go into a front bear hug. After much resisting on my part, he will continue to grab my legs and eventually drop me to the ground. Eventually, after much struggling, a couple reversals on my part (then rereversed by him) he will get me into full mount. I am ALWAYS very careful to avoid & defend submissions, so he never gets me. but, after this, i will reverse the full mount, and either (much later) get in a full mount. It normally ends with him doing something stupid (like leaving his neck unguarded while on his hands and knees and me getting a rear naked) or me just naturally moving towards an armbar. the end.

Here's what i want:
I want to streamline this process. I want to be in a good place when we go to the ground. and Although i have quite the BJJ way of doing things, i would rather be in an advantageous position more often.

Here's my opinions so far: (i having been thinking all night.)
Tackle to Front Bear Hug: I have done the stupid thing by trying to sprawl when it is too late, or directly push again his force. My current improvements are. 1)sprawl quicker (derr) 2) get out of the way and trip/grab 3) catch him under his arms and hip throw/takedown. 5) just drop immeadiately to full guard. 6) turn my hip to behind bear hug where i can A)rolling knee bar B) hip throw C)prepare for gullotine.

him gaining positions: simply have a tighter guard. putting a knee or arm in the right place. be more balanced.

that's what i've got so far. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
kimura. duh, sry.

Back