Mixed Breed Dogs?

D

Dano

I'm thinking about getting a mixed breed dog soon from the local animal shelter. I'm going to list the mixed breeds i want and please tell me if it would be a good mixed breed to have around kids. What ever dog I go get will be going straight to training.

1. lab/german shepherd dog
2. lab/border collie
3. border collie/ german shepherd dog
4. german shepherd dog/ Austrian kelpie
* Australian kelpie

Sounds like you have a great plan so far! I would think anything mixed with lab is going to have that natural, easy-going and a bit goofy nature that makes them great companions for kids.

Bless you for wanting a bigger, mixed breed dog. Those are the hardest for shelters to adopt out sometimes. I hope you find a great doggie!

All of those breeds will generally be really eager to go into training and learn as much as you're willing to teach them. Good luck with your choice but I'd say it just boils down to your personal preference.

i have a lab shep mix that i rescued that is going blind in one eye *from past abuse* and was abused by kids as well as men and he still *once he gets used to them* loves to play with my neice and nefew so i would choose the lab shep they are also wonderful dogs to play fetch with in water good luck no matter what you choose

Any of them could be good with kids.

Ask the shelter staff which ones are best suited for children.

All will be high energy dogs, I can tell you that!

Good luck choosing a new pet!!

I am a huge lab fan - the shepherd lab wins my vote as both breeds are smart and loyal.
Best wishes!

Back