minivan vs. SUV for family of 4?

VeganMomma

Aug 10, 2010
Our family of 4 consists of me, my husband, and our 2 boys. They're 4 months and 18 months and we are thinking about getting a bigger vehicle. I want a minivan and my husband wants an SUV. What are some of the pros and cons of each? If you have one or the other and love it, please tell me why!

We've had a Dodge Caravan, and now a Chevy venture. I don't forsee myself driving anything other than a mini van- I love them!! We've taken the seats out to move, we take it to the drive in, all my carseats are easily accessible. Mini vans are perfect.

I have a Chevy uplander. Take a look at some pics online...they are designed to look more "SUV"-ish versus minivan, which is what it is. I sold my mustang *tear* when I was pregnant with our son. We bought the uplander. We were open to SUVS and minivans but ultimately the price was a big factor. I am happy with it. It is automatic sliding doors (mine is a 06) lots of room, DVD player (which my husband loved). Seats 7 and back seats and middle seats all fold down for storage. I'm really happy with the Uplander...it doesn't feel too minivan-ish, but Minivans have SO much more room. When you've got car seats and trying to get kids in and out, and say, grocery shopping, at the same time- its nice to have the extra room to get in and out and it not being so high up off the ground trying to lift kids up, etc. I paid $7000 for my '06 (They wanted 11,000 but we got a really good deal :))

I have an suv which I love but really there is no difference between an suv & a regular car in terms of seating space. You can seat 5 in both & 2 car seats in both are not very comfortable. Forget about taking anybody else with you when you go places. The only thing different with an suv is theres more room in the back to put stuff in. Which is great for 2 strollers or shopping. If you are looking for something with more room, a minivan is the way to go. Or an suv or crossover with 3rd row seating that can fold down. I'm looking for a new car now myself & my husband doesn't want a minivan. We only have one child so I'll probably get another suv & when I have another get a minivan or suv/crossover with 3rd row.

Well minivan seats 7 or 8 depends on the brand w/ tv so if you are having family over or anything then it can fit alot of people. I have a minivan ( well my mom does lol)

SUV 's are pretty cool that is more of a 4 people type car and some have like 7 seats . and some have tv's (brand) .

But i like nice SUV's like mercedes or Acura MDX Etc.

I have a one year old and a newborn and I have a minivan.. And I love it! I had an SUV when I had my son and it seemed to be more of a struggle with the car seat.. I had to climb up to get him in and out of the SUV and it was just too much.. I had a Expedition and I know have a Mazda van.. I like the Mazda van more than any others because it doesn't look so much like a van, it is still sporty and still has the room we need..

Back