Michael Vick defends Riley Cooper after Vick?s brother Marcus put a ?bounty on Riley?

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
USATSI_7360387.jpg

Riley Cooper, the Philadelphia Eagles receiver who apologized for using a racial slur that was caught on video, had a bounty put on him by Michael Vick's brother, although the Eagles quarterback was defensive of his teammate.

Marcus Vick, a former college quarterback and Michael's brother, tweeted out that he would put a $1,000 bounty on Cooper. He has deleted the tweet, but it was reported by many outlets before he did.

"Hey I'm putting a bounty on Riley's head. 1k to the first Free Safety or Strong safety that light his (expletive) up! Wake him up please...." Marcus Vick wrote on Twitter.

Before the situation got out of control, Michael Vick said he disagreed with his brother's statement and came to Cooper's defense.

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reported that Michael Vick said, "I don't agree with what my brother is saying."

[Related: Eagles lose Jason Phillips to torn ACL]

Michael Vick's public defense of Cooper could make life for the receiver at least a little easier in the locker room and in Philadelphia.

Mike Vick: "as a teammate I forgave him."

— Geoff Mosher (@GeoffMosherCSN) August 1, 2013

Vick: "I know what type of person he is. That's what makes it hard to understand but easy to forgive him." — Geoff Mosher (@GeoffMosherCSN) August 1, 2013

Cooper apologized to the team Wednesday night, according to reports. Eagles receiver Jason Avant also publicly defended Cooper.

Jason Avant's heart sunk when he heard about Cooper. "It hurt me, personally," he said. But he said he knows Cooper is not a racist.

— Zach Berman (@ZBerm) August 1, 2013

Avant: "A lot of guys forgave him right away. And there's going to be guys where it takes a couple days, or a week or a month." — Zach Berman (@ZBerm) August 1, 2013

Avant: "I will say, when I'm around every day, he's not that way. ...I still sat next to him today to let him know I'm there for him."

— Zach Berman (@ZBerm) August 1, 2013

The NFL also reacted to Cooper's slur with a statement:

"The NFL stands for diversity and inclusion. Comments like this are wrong, offensive, and unacceptable."

Cooper was fined an undisclosed amount by the Eagles. According to CSNPhilly.com, sources indicated they don't expect the league to take further discipline against Cooper.

- - -
Hit us up on Twitter @YShutdownCorner, email us at [email protected] and "Like" Shutdown Corner on Facebook for NFL conversation 365 days a year, the way it should be.

More news from the Yahoo! Sports Minute:

Related coverage on Yahoo! Sports:
NFL to revamp Pro Bowl format
Despite rough offseason, Patriots should still win AFC East
Cowboys' Barry Church misses practice after Jolly Rancher candy incident
Former teammate rips Cris Carter for 'extreme selfishness'

Back