looking at getting a sport bike for my main transportation but im 17?

Corey

May 12, 2008
I'm looking at getting a sport bike for my main transportation. First for some extra info. I am 17 but will be turning 18 in a month and I am trying to convince my mom to let me get a bike but she keeps on saying I am going to die. There are a few reasons that I have for getting a bike. Right now I am driving a 1995 jeep that is a four cylinder and I am getting around 15 miles per gallon so gas is an issue and can sometimes have a hard time getting over 50 mph so I want something that can cruse on the highway with some power left over. This would be my first street bike but I have been ridding dirt bikes since I was 12 and my current bike is a ktm 300 xc-w which has around 40 to 50 hp. so my dirt bike has about 4 hp per pound so it shouldn't be a problem to get used to a sport bike. I have also herd that insurance is cheaper on a bike vs a car because I am paying around $150 for my jeep. I also have a clean driving record and I don't speed because I don't have extra money to be paying tickets. I don't have to much of a daily commute other than driving to work which is 10 mins away and driving to friends houses and on the weekends and the farthest is 30mins away. I also live in texas so there is maybe a week of snow a year if that so I should be able to ride it year round. I would also be getting gear... street helmet, jacket, gloves and pants and anything else I will need. So im just wondering...
> is there anything I could tell my mom to convince her to let me get a bike?
> what would be a good sport bike for daily use?
> would I be able to find insurance that is cheaper than what im paying for my car?
> what is the average mpg that a 600cc bike gets?

Sport bikes get around 35 mpg. They are not usable in bad weather (think rain). The insurance is high on them anyway, and going to be really high for you at your age (think about 4 times what you are paying now). Your dating may be limited because of dads like me that will not let their daughters get on a bike. Bikes are not cheap to keep running. You would be smarter to buy a car that gets better mileage. There is something to be said for air conditioning

Back