Logitech Illuminated Living-Room Keyboard K830 review

Geek

Jun 6, 2008
When I started using a Windows-based HTPC years ago my first keyboard was the Microsoft Media Center keyboard, a IR-based keyboard with desperately annoying pointer and even more annoying buttons. The Microsoft Media Center remote control on the other hand is the perfect control device - but we still needed a keyboard for those times when using a browser or some other task required keyboard input.I tried a previous Logitech model and while it was much better than the old Microsoft keyboard it still looked like... a keyboard.
Logitech sent me the new Illuminated Living-Room Keyboard K830 last month and it was an instant hit here. First because it looks like a modern appliance, not an old PC keyboard. Second the trackpad is precise and easy to use. Most importantly the keys below the trackpad are within range of your thumb even if holding the keyboard with both hands.
But the easy of use doesn't stop there. Logitech added a second left-button just on top left of the keyboard, making it easier to click or double-click with your left hand while using your right hand for the track pad.
bcc1d5dbc67f79560b64e0f8e34bf3c5.jpg

e08d7a42cf34209e7a4326c2f11a3446.jpg

18e05ed1a42cdd3af06499f81de87608.jpg

Not happy enough with these features so far, Logitech made it a USB-rechargeable keyboard with built-in battery and added backlight with automatic brightness control, so you can use the keyboard even in the dark while watching some content, without disturbing others in the room.
Another feature is the use of the Logitech Unifying Receiver, a small USB-based radio that connects your keyboard (and other Logitech devices) to your PC. You can then use the keyboard from up to ten metres away, with no cables. And because it emulates a full keyboard and it's active even while your PC is in sleep or hibernation, it can bring it back in seconds from standby - something the IR-based remote controls and keyboards can't do.
The keys are very comfortable to touch, with a comfortable travel and feedback. There is no numerical keypad but a function key gives you extra media controls and you can customise the multi-touch trackpad actions as you see fit.
All this comes in a 495g form factor (367mm width x 125 height x 116.5mm depth) that fits nicely in anyone's lounge.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Back