Learning two Martial arts styles?

sdv0390

Apr 10, 2008
Is it reccomended to learn more than one matial art at a time? I want to learn both Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in order to cover both standing and ground fighting. I've never taken any kind of Martal art before but am in pretty good physical condition.

It will not save you time regardless of what you may think. You are better off taking one and building a solid base and then adding another later and building on top of that solid base rather than trying to build two different foundations and then trying to combine them somehow later.
Think of it this way. You are trying to build a 40 unit apartment complex. You can build two foundations for two 20 unit apartment complexes or you can build one foundation and add on to the top of it. The second way is shorter in the long run and both ways in the end will have 40 units.

Go for it, there's nothing holding you back and in many dojo's they cross styles simultaneiusly to give you the best of both worlds at once. These 2 styles compliment each other very nicely and if you're ready to commit to it I say do it.

Well, normally you shouldn't really do two Martial Arts. So you can focus on one or the other, however I like your attempt. Yeah, aslong as your going to put at least 100% in each of the Martial Arts then go for it!

No experiance? Wow, you might be in for a bit of a shock if your doing two of the most deadliest Martial Arts there is. But, good luck and go for it.

- Train in archery aswell, it gives you a good accuarcy for when you do your punches, straight line vision.

- Also, practice allot, visulise the BJJ moves in your head and do them on the air, it helps loads.

Back