Learning to ride on a 600cc super sport bike?

Yuuup23

Sep 24, 2011
Well I'm a 20 year old jr. in college & I plan on buying a used 2008 honda cbr 600 to start my sport bike riding passion. Now here's the deal I'm a guy who's 5ft7 175 pounds I have only have ridden automatic transmission atvs, no dirt-bikes. I have a clean driving record going on 4 years plus my sub division I live in with my family is great for practice : got 2 big hills a straight away & plenty of turns & little to no traffic posted 25mph speed limit. Even the main roads around the small town I live in are not to bad no 4 lane highways for like 40 miles up the interstate. I feel I could gain enough practice just in my neighborhood alone to skip getting a 250 which I will lose interest in less then one summer which the 600 I could keep for 4 + years. Whats your opinion ?
Good answers so far, defiantly considering the 250 since also just to see if I like riding motorcycles in the first place

I'm with the other two that answered. 600cc is too much to learn on and really all an experience rider needs on the public streets. There are certain skills you will not learn on mid-large sized bikes that you will learn on the smaller bikes. Don't let your inexperience and your current confidence mix with a 600 bike. It's a bad combination. Really, a 250cc is a perfect starter bike and commuter. I actually wish I had one of these little bikes to thrash around.

I think you should get a clue on learning how to ride before assuming you will get tired of something.

The only thing a 250 won't do that a 600 will is 150mph. Not to mention is easier to control for a beginner, is cheaper to insure and maintain, cheaper to fix if you throw it down the road, better gas mileage, and is pretty much the standard in professional training courses for people like you for a reason.

By the way, if you get tired of riding it after less than one summer. Then youre not riding the bike to its capabilities.

posted 25mph speed limit

& the 250cc bike only goes 100MPH.. & gets there faster than the family V8 car..

BOREDOM... Ive been riding for 40 plus years.. & while i do like riding my 800 Ducati.. I can have just as much fun on my mates 250 Ninja...

its how you ride not the size of the bike that is the fun bit...

Let's see: You've never ridden a motorcycle before, but you think 600cc's is a good start? Apparently, you want to treat your parents to the thrill of getting a visit from a state trooper who then has to explain to them why he and his men had to literally scrape their son off the road. I'm not joking, my cousin has been a state trooper for 20 years, and to this day he dreads motorcycle wrecks more than anything else. I am sick of the motorcycle industry pushing 600cc bikes as beginner's bikes. They are not. They have far more power than is safe for a beginning rider. I know of two people that would still be alive if they'd only ridden more sensible machines. YOu seem to suffer from the same arrogance and overconfidence that killed them. Once upon a time, 600cc's was considered a big bike. Myself, i started on a crummy little 125 and I'm glad that I did, as I've ridden on and off for years and still possess all of my original appendages. Starting on a sportbike is probably not the best idea either, as the riding position can take some getting used to and the temptation to act a fool on public streets is too great, not to mention that they catch the eyes of law enforcement and thieves like nothing else. Honestly, the best bike for a beginner is usually a boring 'standard" bike, as they are easier to handle and more comfortable to ride, typically. I urge you to enroll in a motorcycle safety course and get experience with veteran riders. Riding by yourself when new is a great way to pick up bad riding habits.

Back