Laptop DVD drive jammed by its power ribbon!?

Pebble

Nov 21, 2008
I have a Lenovo T61 laptop. My toddler press the DVD button and the slot pop out as usual. But he went further and pulled the tray completely out. It hung by a long flatten ribbon. I assume it is the power supply that originated from within the laptop and now it is in the dvd drive space. The slot was finally assembled back. But it was terribly difficult to close due to the ribbon in the way. No where to move the ribbon to and no clue how to open the laptop, I just shoved it closed.

Right now if I press the button, the green light blinks and I hear the mechanism sound for it to pop open. However, since it is jammed with that ribbon, it cannot open. (My laptop has fallen and it did pop open once but I shoved it closed again.)

Should I open the laptop and pulled that ribbon out of the drive? Is there a way to properly place that ribbon so that it doesn't jam? What should I do to restore my dvd drive?

I would suggest opening the laptop case, & try & replace the ribbon in it's correct position, hopefully you haven't pulled out the ribbon completely from its socket.
Not easy as there is not much space to play around in there.

Back