Just bought Sony 720p 32" LCD and trying to set up with DirecTV - no channels...

Worm11

Dec 5, 2009
...found using HDMI. Please help!? I just bought a 32" Sony Bravia KDL-32L504. I have an HD DirecTV receiver that I have been using on a standard def TV for the past 3 months. Upgraded to HDTV finally. Hooked up the receiver to the new TV using HDMI cable. Autoprogram does not find any channels. Tried to use standard setup with old school red/white/yellow cables in case HDMI cable was the issue. No luck. Tried receiver again on old TV and works like a charm with the aforementioned red/white/yellow cables. Anyone have some advice on how to properly set up Sony HDTV with DirecTV HD receiver using HDMI cable? This shouldn't be rocket science - obviously some setting is not correct on the TV most likely, but I am at a loss....
Input button on the remote was set to TV rather than HDMI - duh! Thanks for the answer. I did figure it out finally, but not after some frustration. Yeah, I have entered the HD zone finally....

Have you set the video input selector on the TV to HDMI yet? The HDMI is a higher tech version of the old yellow/red/white cable connection - the cables only carry the current audio/video from your DirecTV receiver - there's no channel changing capability.

Channel scan probably won't check that input, since it's designed more for digital cable use. You'll still need to change channels on your DirecTV box.

Back