Is this offensive?

Your missing something its not racist in Australia though nigger is. Call a person boy in Australia also isn't racist.

It's an amature show, no one does their make up or wardrobe thats the whole idea just about anyone can get on and most of the time make a fool of then selves if you look it up on u tube you will see the perfect examples of what i mean.

On a whole, deaing with many different issues i think that the meadia world are just becoming way to politically correct.

Why are some groups of people becoming so precious and sensitive about just about everything and anything that is said or done, there are lines that you should not cross but this is just becoming overkill, half of the time where there was no problem now there is one.

Correct me if im wrong but the guy who did a comedy skit about Obama in America was white right.

I have seen many black comedians take the absolute piss out of the white guys and it's really funny because i can laugh at myself, we dont take it to heart over here but i fear our layed back sence of humor is slowly being eroded by this kind of over reaction about these kind of things and i think that it does more harm then good.

Go the blatant publicity stunt!

The audition (yes they hae to audition...) process for the show is supposedly a tough one. They MUST have known that this was going to annoy at least some people. It is strictly ture to say that we skippys don't know about blackface being racist, there have been at least a couple of incidents where people have done it to portray aboriginal folks and it got a predictable response.

Bottom line, new version of old show + ratings desperation = dodgy and predictable stunt.

Surprise! Not. But it worked, the show rated through the roof.

paul

Golliwogs the best dolls I saw some in New Zealand when on holidays I wanted one but they were over $100.

I must admit I was a little surprised at how much reaction there was over this...

I also find it a little hypocritical that so many would claim this as offensive, especially as none was actually intended by the performers, but happily enjoy the many instances of very intentional crude/sexual/profane/insert whatever anyone else finds offensive 'humour' which is also all over television... Why such double standards?

EDIT: Not trying to open up another can of worms here, just explaining why I found it suprising that there was such a backlash...

Woah there, no need to get eggy.
I think you will find that a large portion of tv is offensive in some way to someone, the ratings war and all that. Even the kids shows demonstrate that rude and crude wins the viewers. Whether the act was deliberatley aired to bring publicity or not it was not that offensive and not the first parody of the jacksons or black people or other races. Why is it ok to listen to black comedians and laugh and enjoy the show even if they are derogatory about their own race? does that not give the wrong impression that it is so ok to ridicule the blacks that they do it themselves? Or what if they ridicule 'crackers' is that ok because whitey did it for years and now its the blacks turn? Or how about Bo'Selecta and his tribute to michael jackson (Cha'Mon Mother - u know the rest) was that ok.....ever? Bo'selecta is equally crap.

Why would i speak to anyone that way? If 'a black person i know' needs it, i tell where to go but i wouldn't become racially abusive about it (not even in a hip hop bling bling stylee my wigger). Same as i would not say 'shift your fat ass porky' to a fat person or 'run along' to someone in a wheelchair. I am not socially inept and can express myself without being rude (Stupid).
As i said, the act was not racist, just crap. Grow up and take the discussion on face value. Don't try and read more than is there or try and convince me that because of past race issues one cannot tell anyone, of any race, about themselves if they deserve it.

You can't tell but I'm doing the dance at the end of 'Napoleon Dynamite' in order to try and diffuse this explosive thread.

It's offensive, they're taking the mickey out of how black people look by painting there skin actually black. It's also offensive to the jackson 5 and micheal jackson. It also has links back to when people blacked themselves up purely to ridicule blacks.

However I don't see why we have to avoid offending each other so much. If you find it offensive don't watch. If it's a privately owned TV station they should be able to broadcast what they like.

Funny you should mention that. A friend of mine who's asian calls a black friend of mine that all the time, I mean, continually--like multiple times in one sentence, and the two of them are really good friends. In fact, any of us in this one group of friends I have could call him something like that, and he wouldn't get the least bit upset.

Back