Is this offensive?

MD1527

Mar 26, 2008
I watched this show last night it is called Hey Hey it's Saturday witch is sort of a slap stick fast pace off the cuff comedy show and there is a segment called Red Faces where just about any amature act can get on and will be given a score out of 10, most of the time real silly stuff not to be taken to seriously.
I must admit that i thought nothing of this until i woke up this morning and heard it all over the media and in America they were getting stuck right into it. All that i saw was a bunch of guys taking off the Jackson Five and Michael Jackson who i might add some of them are Indian the guy with the white face was. If a bunch of black guys came out with white faces i would'nt have thought anything different i will add that i didn't think it was all that funny anyway.

In Australia we take the mick out of each other no matter what race we are but this has nothing to do with race it seems to many Australians that other countries blow this kind of thing way out of proportion, is this just another example of political correctness gone mad.
I can see how due to circumstance some people maybe offended but it was not intended in that way a bit of foresight may have been good though.

YouTube - Hey Hey Its Saturday (the Jackson Jive) American Insult

http://www.3aw.com.au/displayPopUpPlayerAction.action?&url=http://media.mytalk.com.au/3AW/AUDIO/081009_fordonjacksons1.mp3

The Jackson Jive skit — involving five men covered in black face paint and black wigs dancing alongside a white-faced Michael Jackson impersonator — appeared on the Red Faces segment, 20 years after it was shown on the original Hey Hey.

Last night's show was a ratings triumph for the Nine Network, luring 3.937 million people at its peak across metro and regional areas — but the controversy has overshadowed its success.

US singer Harry Connick Junior, a guest judge on the show, was outraged by the "blackfaces" sketch, giving it a zero before saying if it had ever appeared on US television the show would have been terminated.

Worldwide media have backed Connick Jr, with some reports describing Australia as racist and others saying the sketch was "vile" and "ridiculous".

Marina Hyde from Britain's Guardian newspaper described Australia was "the world's most savagely self-parodic country,” and introduced the skit as, “news of an important breakthrough in race relations".

Hyde, who has often expressed a low opinion of Australia in her columns, went onto to scorn host Daryl Somers for his reaction to the skit.

"If you take a look at the mind-boggling video clip, you will note that we rejoin the show after the break, during which the host seems to have had a somewhat unconvincing epiphany ... very good of him," Hyde wrote.

"In Australia, of course, [blacking up] is perfectly acceptable, and we thank the nation for yet another important contribution to the annals of human culture."

US magazine Newsweek said Somers "looked genuinely surprised" after Connick Junior told the audience: "If I knew that was going to part of the show, I definitely wouldn't have done it."

Blogger Kyra Kyles from Chicago Now said the sketch was "absolutely damn ridiculous ... [one of the] dumbest things I've seen."

Kyles gave "big ups to [Connick Jr] for reading these clueless fools the riot act".

"Shame on the host and the other judges for trying to act like this performance was acceptable in any part of the world," she wrote.

"I seriously had to look at the calendar to see if I had somehow gone on a really bad time travel a la HG Wells.

"I'm too disgusted to write anymore."

David Schmader from The Stranger posted a video of Connick Jr's reaction to the sketch on the blog, with most of the replies to his post saying Australians were racist.

"The casual racism of a lot of Australians beggars belief ... they're thirty years behind us in some ways," user Fnarf replied.

"Agreed ... I visited there a while back and was pretty stunned ... white Australians don't get it," STJA wrote.

Others said Australia had more prejudices than Americans: "Good on Connick. That piece is quite vile."

Schmader later made another blog post titled: "Australians: Post-Race Miracle Humans or Racist Idiots?" before publishing comments from people who supported the sketch.

One of the replies said: "There is nothing racist about this ... it is a parody only of the Jackson Five, not black people in general.

"Quite besides that, Michael Jackson hasn't been black in a long time ... race and skin colour are simply not of any significance to us here."

Host Daryl Somers apologised to Connick Jr on-air saying he realised it was "an insult to have a blackface routine like that on the show".

"I think we may have offended you with that act and I deeply apologise on behalf of all of us," Somers said.

A spokesperson for Hey Hey It's Saturday could not be reached for comment.

The frontman for the skit — prominent Sydney-based plastic surgeon — Dr Anand Deva has apologised but said it is ironic he is being called racist, given his Indian background.

"Clearly, all of us want to apologise. I mean we have offended some people no doubt, particularly Harry Connick Jr. So I want to say on behalf of all of us that this was really not intended ... (to be) anything to do with racism at all," he told Fairfax Radio Network.

Dr Deva further defended the act by saying the group of doctors were from multicultural backgrounds and were huge Michael Jackson fans.

"I am an Indian, and five of the six of us are from multicultural backgrounds and to be called a racist ... I don't think I have ever been called that ever in my life before," Dr Deva said.

"Anyone who knows us as a group, we are intelligent people, we are all from different racial backgrounds so I am really truly surprised."

Asked if he would have done the same skit in America, Dr Deva replied, "Absolutely not".

Wednesday's broadcast was the second of two reunion shows for Hey Hey, which went off air in 1999, and talk has circulated about bringing the show back.

I didn't see this live and personally don't find it the least bit offensive. I don't really see that this skit was about race.
HOWEVER
The fact remains that humour of this kind IS offensive to some people and I think we should be sensitive to that. It has no place on television.

What I do find offensive is the hypocrisy of journalists such as this Marina Hyde who slams Australia as being racist and in doing so prejudges an entire culture.

I dont find that skit offensive in the slightest.

Quite frankly this skit had nothing to do with racism it was merely a parody.

Its funny how in one culture something is considered racist and in another its not. Some people need to realize that.

This guy does it for a living.

Issi Dye chats to Denis Walter
Entertainer Issi Dye is performing in an Al Jolson tribute over the weekend in which he will be performing with a painted 'black face.' Issi has done over 1000 performances as Jolson and has never had a single complaint. He chats to Denis Walter.

http://www.3aw.com.au/displayPopUpPlayerAction.action?&url=http://media.mytalk.com.au/3AW/AUDIO/081009_issydye_al.mp3

You HAVE to understand history of Blacks in America to understand why this is offensive. Let's take cross-burning as a parallel. If you asked someone who grew up in Mongolia what they thought of cross-burning, what it meant, they'd probably shrug. No idea. The act is meaningless when divorced from history. But if you're familiar with the American south, you know that burning a wooden cross has historically been used as a death-threat to African Americans.

Similarly, "blackface acts" were Vaudeville acts from the 1800s where a white guy would paint his face black and then act in a very (negative) stereotypical way, mocking African-Americans and reinforcing racist stereotypes among the audience members. It was racist indoctrination thinly disguised as slapstick comedy.

"Jive" is also a pejorative term used to describe African-American slang and colloquialisms. It also has many other meanings, most non-offensive. However, "don't talk jive at me" would be an incredibly rude thing for a white person to say to a Black person in America.

So when you have the "Jackson Jive" with a bunch of non-Black-people wearing Black face makeup, it is INCREDIBLY offensive to those familiar with African-American history. However, the people doing the act likely had no idea why it was offensive. They're as shocked by the controversy as Richard Nixon was when he flashed a crowd of Australians (I think) the hand signal that, in America, meant a the time "V for victory" (and later also "peace") but in Australia means "up your rectum."

Different facially-innocent acts have very different connotations depending on who you talk to. This act would offend most Americans, but I understand how this controversy seems bizarre to non-Americans.

Awww man, I love this argument. "I'm black/oriental/middle eastern, therefore I can't be racist". Hahahahaha. Love it.

Yeah you have a point there but it was just made known that some of them were Indian anyway it wasn't intended to be racist like i said a bit of forethought would have been good if anyone should be offended it would be the Jacksons, i dont think that they will make the same mistake twice.

Maybe the performers should have realized that, when performing before an American guest judge (Harry Connick Jr.), they should consider American sensibilities as well as Australian.

Look at it from the guest judge's perspective. What would happen to Harry Connick Jr.'s reputation and career if he returned to the United States and his American fan-base found out that he'd given a standing ovation up to a blackface act (admittedly at an overseas competition)? He'd be run out of town and labeled as a "racist." His reputation wouldn't survive the scandal.

Yeah man you make some pretty good points there i must say i hadn't thought of it that way but i dont think that the fault is really with the performers as much as it is with the producers of the show their the ones that should have thought ahead at the possible back lash.

Wasn't funny but wasn't racist or offensive. What i find curious is that the white american feels the need to publicly shun and berate anything that MIGHT be deemed racist or insensitive because of his ancestors attitudes and crimes. Christ, if we all (Britain) thought that way we would never do anything except say sorry to just about every nation on the planet, (sorry we stole your land/lives/gods/diamonds/oil/women/dignity/wealth/food etc.) I think it is just typical for an american to be upset by something that by all rights should not have affected him personally. There is empathy and then there is an american with a soap box. Does that make me racist?

lol... speaking of soapboxes.. you might want to step down off of your own.
Way to misunderstand the issues in American race relations.

It wasn't racist, but it was insensitive and it was offensive and it certainly wasn't funny.

and just because Harry Connick Jr isn't black, doesn't mean he can't or shouldn't be offended by it.

How on earth is that a bad thing to care about other people? If someone says or does something to Blacks, or gays, or Asians that isn't right, I think it's good to stand up and say "this isn't right"--even if the offense is not targeted toward my own segment of the population.

--Pastor Martin Niemِller

I would also like to point out that, on the front page of CNN today is an article Blackface 'Jackson Jive' skit shocks Connick. What do you think the title would have been in the American media of Connick had applauded?

It is a joke, a really crap one granted, but the reaction and chat from Mr USA was just a little dramatic. By all means tell em they are crap but no need to get all menstrual about it. I don't think i have confused the race relations issue. From how the OP described the show i don't see how any of the guests whom have agreed to be on the show can strop about the content.

So...it's ok to be racist or at least extremely offensive on tv so long as the context of the show isn't serious?

Tell you what, go up to a black person you know and call them an uppity N... in a jokey way and let me know how they react.

Blackface has a long history in the U. S. (and not a very good one). It would appear to me that if the object were to imitate, or even spoof, the Jackson 5, then the makeup would have been done to facilitate a closer approximation--or caricaturization--of the actual features of the Jacksons, as opposed to being the rather broad stereotypical caricature of black features that it was. No one spoofs or would spoof, say, Nicole Kidman by painting their skin with three inches of pancake makeup and putting broomstraw on their head. The presentation was offensive.

As for Connick's reaction, it may be genuine or tied to the very real posibility of losing audience back in the States if he didn't decry it. Either way, I don't get some people calling him a hypocrite for a sketch that he did years ago. I would think it would be possible (though I couldn't know for certain) that he has grown since then. In fact, that very incident may have made him more sensitive to what he witnessed in Australia.

paz,

dormindo

Back