Is there any way to clean out a plumbing vent besides getting on the roof? The roof

whisper

Jun 5, 2008
is too steep.? My house is at least 100 years old. I have lived here 18 years and once a year I have to have a plumber come out. My neighbor told me that his plumber went through a vent in the roof and he's had no more problems. This makes sense. I can tell when my plumbing is starting to back up because whenever my washer drains, my toilet gurgles really bad. Like it's starving for air. I guess they've had plumbing problems for years in this house. I'm sure it's because the roof is too steep where the vent is located. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I may clean out the vent? I have multiple sclerosis so climbing on the roof is out of the question! LOL Thanks for your input!!!

You can always pull the toilet out and clean the drain from there. The only reason why a plumber would do it from the roof vent is because there isn't a clean out on the sewer line out in the yard to use . If you have a clean out in the yard....this is where it needs be snaked at.

Being that your dealing with ms i would suggest you call a pro and have them correct it for you. the roof vent is just another path to get to your problem. you should have a clean out in the basement or in your yard . i have been forced to do minor disassembly of piping before p traps under the sink often will allow me to attack blockages. good luck

Can you get into the attic and locate the vent pipe?

If you can, why not cut the pipe and install a wye that can be used as a cleanout. You may need to install a double-wye, so that you can run a snake both up and down the vent. Once you have it installed, this will be a lot easier than removing the toilet each time.

One other thought - is your washer on the same vent line as the commode? How about running a separate vent for the washer? You may be able to do this inside the wall (without penetrating the roof) by using an air admittance valve inside the wall. One name brand is 'studor' vent.

Good luck!

I have never heard of having to clean a plumbing vent and almost find the idea ridiculous. The only reason to use the vent would be if there was no clean out in the sewer line outside of the house. If your house is 100 years old and no work has been done on the pipe that leads from your house to the main line you are long overdue for a major expense. Your drain pipes may be cast iron with lead soldered joints. Time and subtle shifting of the ground have taken their toll. Grass roots are probably getting in thru a cracked lead seal. You are lucky if no trees are growing on or near the line.

The pitch of the roof will make no difference to the vent pipe. As it is an old vent pipe, then there should be a rodding point in the pipe which is a cast iron plate on the pipe fixed on with 4 bolts, that is assuming it is a cast iron vent for the age of the property, but the same would apply if it is a PVC pipe. If you think the Pipe is backed up, then it is a problem in the main sewer, not the vent pipe. In that case you need to clear the main sewer on your property.The vent pipe will clear as well then.

Back