Is there a rear heater core in a 2003 lincoln navigator?

harleysangel2000

Nov 25, 2011
Yesterday while driving my '03 Navigator I started to smell antifreeze inside the car. While my son was sitting in the back today he noticed smoke and the antifreeze smell coming from the rear heat vents, the front does not seem to have this problem. While doing a search online I noticed people talking about a front and rear heater core. Is there a rear heater core? Where is it and how do I change it? Could it be the problem since the smell and smoke is only coming out of the rear vents?

Yes there is a heater core in the rear of your SUV. It is behind the panel at the rear of the SUV, left side. The whole rear plastic panel has to be removed to get access to R&R heater core. It may require a bit of carpet cleaning also due to leak.

Many SUVs have both front and rear heater cores and evaporators (A/C parts). Generally, the rear heater core would be located behind the far rear trim panels (the plastic walls behind the rear doors). I can't recall the '03 Navigator off-hand, but the easiest way to determine where it is is to duck under the vehicle and find the metal/rubber tubes that run from front to rear. These would be the heater and A/C lines. Wherever they go back up into the body is where your rear heater core would be. Be aware, depending on the vehicle, you may need to remove the rear seat row(s), most of the rear interior paneling, and/or some of the carpeting.

Back