Is my 82yr old fathers abdominal aneurysm about to rupture?

SueMcdougall

Sep 5, 2010
So my dads foot and leg starting changing color and going numb on Aug.31. Took an ambulance to the hospital where they did a CT scan and discovered he has 2 aneurysms 1 smaller one in his stomach and a larger one in the abdomen. He was told to the larger one has to be completely removed and to go for surgery the next day but my father refused, he was told he could die and may have to wait a cpl months before another chance at surgery but still opted to go home. He was told no strenuous activity at all, but my father an avid exerciser is still going on his walker each morning and stops when his leg cramps up which is also leading to his feet changing color but once again returning to "normal". Now he's insisting on waiting to see his family dr on Sept.9 to discuss alternate options for surgery, he's convinced that he didn't need to hop straight into emergency surgery bc his leg returned to normal and he feels fine. He had a heart attack last year but the surgeon opted the medicinal route instead of bypass, so he does have clogged arteries and high blood pressure. I'm assuming with his age and heart conditions for the surgeon to want to do emergency surgery, which in itself is a risk i think, that his aneurysm must be serious? Just wondering professional opinions on my dads chances? Do you think its about the rupture with his feet acting the way they are? I live a cpl provinces away so was not able to question the surgeon myself or hear what he had to say. Don't know if this helps but i read symptoms are abdominal pain which he has been having for I'd say about 6 months now but just assumed it was one of his heart medications or his dr told him it was most likely kidney stones. Chances of surviving till surgery if or when or even making it out of surgery itself? Sorry for the lengthy post and tia for any responses.

Back