Is it illegal to download already purchased DVDs and Blue-Ray Discs?

ThatXboxNerd:/

Sep 27, 2013
Alright, So to begin my mother once worked at blockbuster sometime ago and we have 100s (literally 100s of them in closets, desks and in drawers), of DVDs laying around the house. I have done some research and found out about a program called "XBMC". Well, I have recently made a XBMC box for my PERSONAL use. Basically I plug it up to my router and have access to the movies, music and pictures that I OWN around the house ONLY. I have a lot of DVDs and CD's and I want to know the legal terms about a few thing:

1. Is it illegal to download the same DVD/CD, That I own 100%, disc still works and everything, via torrenting. <-- main question because I have very fast internet and would be much faster then ripping said DVDs/CDs.

2. Is it illegal to make a back-up (Ripping the disc to my hard drive) and use it for personal use. (just in case it is illegal to download them).

I would like to know before I go off downloading 100s of movies that I do own and have the working disc for... and if you could site where you get your facts from, not just your "word". thanks.

This is the the program I am using if interested... http://xbmc.org/

Back