Is it generally true that programmers are uptight nerds who don't have a sense

mmm2

May 11, 2008
of humor? and don't know how to cut loose? I want to be a programmer, and if that stereotype is true, I guess I'll be one of the exceptions since I like to laugh and joke around a lot. I'm just worried that I'll actually have to associate with uptight people like I described when I get a job if programmers are generally like that.
One thing that makes me hesitant to get into the computer science field is that I'm worried that most people in the field will be like this, and I've met quite of few CS students who tend to be like this. I was just wondering if that's typical for computer science people. Also, I'm introverted, too, but I'm not someone with a stick up his ass who can't take a joke (depending on when it's told to me)..

cs students are uptight because they paid money for cs school and cs school is tough, programming assignment deadlines to be met, cryptic discrete math symbols and algorithm pseudocodes to decypher, all of those threaten to give failing grade which will be depressing considering how much money have been spent for cs school tuition fee, if they fail that would be like paying money to fail.
and they are at risk of making mistake on course schedule planning such as mixing difficult cs course with some other elective course that turns out to be difficult and their exams schedule ends up happening on same day.

programmers work with computers and computers are uptight being, when computers give errors, the errors must be fixed with hard detectives work, no sense of humor can fix the errors, and often the errors must be fixed before some academic/job deadlines date due.

this is the best question i've seem in years!!! ok. well my spouse is s programmer. when i met him he was a liitle odd. came off as geeky intelligent. introvert. not so much shy, rude or boring. since having been with him i've met about 30 others guys from his field. they're all a bit different and yet a lot alike. throw a c.p. out in walmart to buy diapers and yes they exude a unique awkwardness. get two or more c.p. together and they open up. jokes out the butt. just not the jokes most understand. one guy loved networking. got him a shirt for xmas that said "there's no place like 192.168.1.1". now your average person won't find that funny. so its just a matter of who's outside lookin in. c.p. definately aren't jocks so someone who enjoys jock will think you're wierd but whatever!! to each his own. you'll make friends you relate to. half the guys in that field i know dont think they are strange. they think they're outgoing, funny, happy dudes. and they are!! good luck with it!

Back