Is a tablet not a good choice for someone who is a speed typist?

ChuckieH

Jul 28, 2008
I am a speed typist, I literally learned on a typewriter. I even use a wireless keyboard for my laptop as I prefer the desktop sized keyboard. Would I most likely be unhappy with a tablet such as one from some fruity comany who I obviously cannot mention as my other question did not post for doing so?
Also forgot to mention that I like to use messenger and chat rooms a lot, so basically a lot of typing.

I would get a laptop with the spaced keys, like a VAIO or a Dell. I prefer macs as I am also a speed typist.

I love my iPad. The typing is excellent on the keyboard. It is a perfect size, even for fast types like us. However if you do feel comfortable with a keyboard you can use a Bluetooth keyboard with the iPad. iPads are great for typing up essays. I use it daily for university.

i mysleft would use a laptop because of its keyboard and if i am not mistaken a tablet has a touch screen not a keypad?

You shouldnt get a tablet, because its a flat screen, no texture and there could be a delay in typing, which would infuriate you, it seems, BUT if you get one that has a keyboard carrying case thing you might like it.

I use a Bamboo Create Tablet for drawing and using programs like Photoshop. If you are using the tablet not for assisting in creating artwork but for straight up writing then I would go with typing, but if you are writing, say short stories, then for some people a tablet is better because it feels more natural to the writing process. It will most likely be a lot slower but help you get your ideas out better. This of course is up to personal preference. Keyboard is the way to go for speed. Keep in mind, when drawing some people use a tablet while others use a mouse and yet they can both create something just as good. The tool is up to the user. Overall, since you seem to be most proficient with typing that may be the best choice especially if the only reason you are using a tablet is for writing and nothing else.

As a fellow speed typist you need to accept that computer keyboards are NOTHING like the keys on a good, old IBM Selectric III. What a lovely touch. =]

When I started using computers around 1982 they were DUAL floppies. Hard drives did NOT even exist yet! =]

I topped out around 90 WPM. Everything I read about computers insisted that I Slooooooooow down. That is unless I wanted to get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

I worked at a place where I had to "look busy". There was nothing to do. So I dug out other people's steno' books and transcribed their shorthand from prior years.

No one cared how fast I typed. It drove me crazy. I quit after 18 months.

I love my Apple tablet. The touch screen is wonderful fun. Since MS has forced me to type with just my right hand, I enjoy the tablet.

Unless you are paid to type fast just slow down and enjoy the chat. I still find typing with one hand I out-type whoever is chatting with me.

you can get wireless keyboards for tablets that have bluetooth like the ipad or galaxy tab. typing on the screen though doesn't work very well, although on the ipad i know it has a way so you can type with just your thumbs because you can split the keyboard in half. it works pretty good.

Back