Is a 250 sports bike more economical than a higher cc (even if you go the...

DAVE

May 13, 2008
...same speeds on either)? I want to use a motorbike to get around, really not fussed about a high cc engine but I suppose a 400cc would be better for getting out of trouble, however I don't want to get a higher cc if it's going to guzzle fuel and end up costing me about the same as a small car!

It would defeat the object a little!

Thanks

I agree with both. If you want above average MPG and a decent maximum speed, then a 125cc scooter will do the job. I guess it also depends on the engine of the bike, I.e single cylinder and inline 4. I used to own a 400cc sports machine (VFR400R) and to be honest it was great on fuel, averaging around 50-55MPG (If rode sensibly). My 50cc scooter was probably the best on fuel (When Restricted). It doesn't always depends on the engine size of the machine, for example my Honda NSR125R was not so great on fuel; because it was a 2 stroke and it needed high revs just to get anywhere. I bet that only did around 30-35MPG. As long as you keep the bike in a high gear and low revs, you'll be getting the best possible MPG. There are plenty of 600cc machines that can get 50MPG+. Motorcycle such as the XJ600, Fazer 600, GS500 & Bandit 600 are commonly used for commuting. The VFR400 is good because it has a V4 engine, so it has plenty of low down power / torque, in fact I could do 20MPH in 6th gear with a passenger on the back.

Bigger uses more fuel. For 7 years I was riding a 652cc Savage, getting about 50 mpg city and 60-65 mpg on the highway. I now have a Vespa LX150 and get 65 mpg in the city riding the same way, and I am getting about 75mpg on the freeway. And am having even more fun. Depending where your are, a SYM Wolf 150 would be about perfect. If you need to go 75+mph, a Suzuki TU250 would be better, but would get less fuel mileage. (I would have had either, but my knee/hip likes the step thru frame of a scooter.)

Getting power for "getting out of trouble" does not actually work. Acceleration will get you into more trouble than will get you out. Learn how to avoid hazards and you will never need excessive speed.

My K1200LT (big bike) gets 53 MPG, my Single KLX450 gets around 40 MPG. It is not always about size. Most bikes get pretty good gas mileage, it mileage is your only concern get a scooter.

Back