If I buy a car that ends up being a lemon, is there anything I can do?

NolmanlsLand

Oct 11, 2010
I bought a car from my sister's husband and he told me that the lifter was out of it. It was definitely making a knocking sound. He told me that he'd give me the lifter to have a mechanic fix it and everything. So, I give him 400 dollars and sign a deal to pay him 400 more dollars but we never had any time limit or anything set and he said, "No big deal, just get it to me when you can." I got the title in my name and tags on it and drove home.

Well, I put less than 100 miles on the car and had a mechanic look at it and he said, "There's a rod out of it." To my astonishment, he told me the book value of the car was less than what it would cost to fix it and that I'd be better off parting it out or junking it for scrap metal.

I contacted the previous owner (who still never gave me the lifter but I guess that doesn't matter now) and told him the situation. I said, "Look, the rod was out of the car and I thought I'd let you know." I was very polite about it and everything. He was even saying he was going to forgive the other 400 dollars but then he called me later than night, threatening to come to my house and beat on my door until I pay him the other 400 dollars for that junk car!

What can I do? I was mislead into believing it was a lifter but it was a rod and I'm pretty sure (although not sure I can prove it) that he knew it was a rod and was trying to find a trusting sucker like me to buy it. I figured I could trust him because it was my sister's husband but my sister is supporting him and they're trying to say that I must have messed the car up, which isn't the case at all since it was already messed up when I got it.

Is there anything I can do? Can they sue me for the other 400 and force me to pay even though they lied to me and told me the car only needed a lifter when it really needed a new motor?

Back