I saw a heavily pregnant woman smoking today.

:laugh:
Not my business that I'd go out of the way to deal with, but it makes me think much less of them.

You'll be disappointed :tongue:

You need to claim it, the pretentiousness of your posts says it all. I find it hard to believe that you would quite gladly take a beating for nothing. You're obviously stupider then we all thought.

I agree that there is a lot of propaganda against smoking what I was trying to say is that the issue still seems to be thought of a snot really that important- not by the government and schools themselves but by the kids- everyone does it so why shouldn't I? From this point of view I do agree that telling them not to do it is not going to help anyone much because they're still going to do it. That's why I'm saying that school lessons provided on this issue (and not only) should be better structured... arghh...kind of hard to explain... to be structured in such a way as to engage the students, encourage the students to be independent whilst telling them about the effect of smoking without telling them off if that makes any sense. Encouraging them to think more responsibly about it- I mean so often in the lessons I have seen it's just a 20 minute session before lunch where everyone does anyhting but pay attention to what is being discussed- they're not really interested so they're not taking it seriously.

I apologise if I implied that individualism is becoming less important-you are free to do as you like as long as you do not infringe on the rights of others (but looking at the matter of smoking whilst pregnant then in that case you ar einfringing the right of another human being). Sure we have personal goals that must be accomplished but the attitude of self-reliance does not always work out great- ok take the environment for example- everyone has a different view on what they want to do so if there would be no regulations to synchronise everyone's behaviour then we wouldn't get very far protecting this environment. I'm not saying the legislation that is in place at the moment is perfect- we have about 220 nations or so in the world and each have their own independent set of legislation for the same 1 environment- not great really- you need one universal set of regulations for this one environment. Anyway....really off topic so I'm sorry about that.
What I'm trying to say is that there should be more of a universal standard on some health & ethical issues in order to ensure that everyone everywhere is protected equally (including foetuses).

So do you think a woman who smokes during pregnancy should be treated the same as the other woman who breaks her child's ribs?

Oh, I see. Well, kids are kids, I suppose. I can't think of any reason to make them more interested in what is essentially being told what not to do though! Smoking is pretty built into our culture. That's a problem the Government has to deal with if they want to reduce rates.

To take the environment, I've written a blog post about this and how this problem can be solved by greater property rights instead of an invasion into property rights, i.e. regulation: it's here if you want to read it, because I can't be bothered to retype it.

The problem with universal standards is they would come into severe cultural barriers. I think international action in this regard tends to be massively ineffectively because the people directing the action don't understand how foreign people/cultures think/act.

It's no secret that I like to think critically and write in a formal style. And I am unrepentant :mfing: I don't care if it sounds "pretentious". That's your problem, not mine.

Don't be daft. As long as I was in a reasonable position to avoid getting beaten, I wouldn't care about her reaction. HOW CAN SHE SLAP, indeed.

Personally, I think smoking whilst pregnant is far worse than punching a child in the face. A punch in the face most often results in a small bump/scar which will probably go away in a few weeks (i know it depends on the force of the punch but generally the effects are short term). However, smoking whilst pregnant may deform the fetus to such an extent that he/she lives a horrible life. The effects are long term. I agree that the two are not the same - because the smoking is far more serious.

Well, it depends on the reason. Either way, such women are likely to make bad mothers in general.

:rolleyes: you may think i am boring but at least i don't talk utter bull in the vain hope that somebody may find me in the slightest bit interesting. I really do have to wonder why people you age consider themselves some sort of gift to the rest of us? You know bugger all (and i am not saying i do, it comes with getting older) and once you realise this we will get on just fine.

Think about it. They are likely to. It is not a fact that all pregnant smokers will be bad mothers, but it's true for most of them.
The ignorance or lack of due care that pregnant smokers display is a pretty good indicator that they will not be very good mothers.

Oh really. So should Baby P's mother just have smoked throughout her pregnancy, as opposed to beating him to within an inch of his life and leaving him to die in his blood-stained cot?

Christ.

Excessive use of the ":headbang:" smilie makes you seem like a retarded chav. :H

Drugs can be nauseating. :facepalm:

In regards to your education, I doubt it'll count for anything.

My aunt smoked all throughout her pregnancy because she couldn't be bothered to give up.

My cousin is now really, really short, but otherwise normal.

There is a huge difference between smoking and smoking whilst pregnant though. If you want to fill your body with poisonous and addictive substances thats your business, but if you do that to the body of an unborn child which doesn't have a say in the matter, then I've got a problem.

Back