i have a 1995 cadilac deville and today while driving,the message batter

BigDaddy

Mar 19, 2008
volts high came on .? shortly after it came on i went to accelerate and it was weak on power and then took off all sudden. it drove fine after that. i came home immediately and when i shut car off, i smelled an electrical type smell. what do you think could be wrong and what should i do? could i maybe just need to replace the battery? thanks for an help.

YOUR DESCRIPTION SEEMS GRASPING? No offense. From what I can guess in my mind is? Your saying your battery voltage went up high...and after shutting it off you smelled an Electrical smell? And weak on power at the start of the drive.
Ok..see if I can walk you through this? Check your battery..make sure it is clean and the cables are clean as well. Make sure there is electrolyte liquid in the battery above the plates in each battery cell. Always use glasses when working on a battery. So now if you can confirm a fully charged 12.5 volt battery with clean connections on both posts. (Or Charge the battery with a charger) Then Make sure the alternator belt is tight..should only have 1/2 inch deflection when applying pressure to it.
With all this things done...Test drive it again. See if it is fixed. If not...smell around your Alternator for that electric smell. Chance are...if the car has over 130,000 on it..the alternator maybe needs replaced. Take it to a AutoZone..or other major retailers..they will bench test it for you for free.
The smell could have also been a loose belt slipping??? But from what you describe I would do the things I described step by step and see if things work again? Good Luck

Back