i drove my 1991 gmc sonoma 1700 miles straight and now it wont start on its own.?

2gr82h8

Aug 20, 2009
I drove my 91 sonoma 1700 miles and now it wont start on its own, or idle, i can start it if i push start it, but it runs rough and wont idle. This problem progressively got worse on my journey. before I left, i put a new fuel pump and fuel filter in it, new spark plugs, new wires, distributor cap and rotor, starter, and air filter. im stumped!! Please help. thanks a million.
The battery charge is fine and the alternator is working, the truck will turn over, just not start. The only way i can get it to run is by push starting it. but it will not idle on its own and is running rough.

bad alternator and now battery is probably shot to. try to leave a set of jumper cables on it and another car and see how it runs. any auto store can test both without removing them. If you jump it and it runs fine for a while then dies slowly its the alternator.

Maybe the ignition control module. I had one go bad and it would fire when the engine was turning from residual energy, or when push starting, but not while cranking.

Back