How to get dog to stop whining?

RockFirestorm

Dec 23, 2008
I rescued an 8 year old dog from the pound a year ago, he was literally getting put down that day. Nice dog except he's unbelievably needy. I can't go into a room without him sitting on th e other side of the door whining and howling. I can't do anything, if I leave the room he starts whining.

Yesterday I got a gate to put out in the hallway so in the morning I could put him out of my room so I could sleep in (since he and his buddy do not let me sleep in). As soon as I put him outside the gate, he started his usual whining and ended up knocking the gate down and then scratching on my bedroom door. This has gotten out of hand.

I don't get sleep, I can't go into a room or the garage without him whining. everytime I leave he starts in. I'm sure the previous owners got rid of him becase of this. Now don't get me wrong, he's safe with me, nothing will happen to him, he'll always have a home here no matter what, i just need to do something about this whining. It's driving me nuts to the point of stressing me out. Everything I do now revolves around trying to get around this dog. I can't walk through the house without him walking in front of me. I can't do anything in the house, essentially.

I have two dogs, the other dog isn't like this but I don't have the time or money to take class and I doubt it would make a difference on this nine year old dog. What other options do I have?

I'm not looking for GUESSES or people's opinions. I'm just looking for answers from experts, people who actually have dealt with this (I will block the usual stupid guesses and opinons). I did ask this earlier and got three responses: 1 ridiculous opinion (exactly what I said I didn't want), 1 obvious response that finished with "take him to a class" (which again I said I didn't want) and one sales pitch for someone's video to buy. If you don't have an actual answer, with all due respect, I'd appreciate it if you'd just move on to the next question. Not trying to be mean and I know 90% of the people here are just kids and people guessing but I'm not looking for that. Thank you for any assistance.

Back