How is the sports city of Manchester divided up?

MrAnfieldAces

Apr 21, 2010
Manchester is a huge place, big city - no different to London.

Geographicaly, depending on what part of Manchester you come from - even the accent begins to differ slightly as you move away from Salford in Great Manchester.

its certainly one hell of a depressing place to live in, with one hell of a lucky football team lol

There is no doubt in my mind that after United won the 92/93 premier league, the young generation (pre teen) growing up very quickly (and understandably) became infatuated and captivated by Manchester United FC, made sense - seeing as this was the era the club became fashionable and iconic again. The majority of kids took to united during this era, as opposed to city - thats not to say there was not a large notable number of City fans already - during the 80s I'd have thought both clubs had more or less a similar sized fanbase within manchester, but after 92/93 - the club began to draw fans from not just from the north west, but outside of that geographical locus - from places as far as Devon and London.

There is no north-east-south or west im my eyes, if you're born in England and fall in love with a football club at a young age and stick with it through thick n thin, thats all that matters at the end of the day.

Not everybody in London supports a London Premiership or even NPower championship club, some support NPower Division 1 and 2 sides, some non league teams and nothing else.

Same applies to the North-East and North-West, not everybody is an Everton, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United or Blackburn Rovers fan - some of them support NPower Championship, NPower Division 1,2 and nonleague clubs - and have done all their lives.

Just like any other city though, the overwhelming majority who support a particular football club go to games to enjoy the atmosphere and the spectacle and to see their team doing well and nothing more.

Hooliganism should never be allowed to rear its ugly head into the game again - it should never be allowed to resurface and tarnish our games image the way it did in the 70s and 80s.

In terms of soccer/football...How is the city of Manchester divided up. I am a fan of either Man U or Man City, living in the States. But to keep unbiased answers I won't tell you which team I support. But, how big is the city in terms of population? Is the old saying true that, "everyone from Manchester is a City fan...and all the United fans are just front runners and other people who aren't from there."? And how is Manchester divided up geographically in terms of supporters...N, S, E, W. And is there a difference in white collar vs blue collar between the two team's supporters? And what is the overall look/feel/living conditions between the two team's supporters part of the city?

Just wondering.

Back