How do you use a personal backup DVD?

Zak

Jun 1, 2008
Ok, I recently had to restore my HP to factory settings. It created a backup, but all of the information only fit onto 36 DVDs. However, when I try to use the RecoveryMgr application on the DVD, all I get is a system error saying "E:\Backup Files 2010-12-222548\RecoveryMgr.exe is not a valid Win32 application." I had about 300 gigabytes of personal information on the computer before the crash and if all of it is lost there is no way I can do anything. The other files on the DVD are in .wim format. I cannot connect the the internet from that computer and I am using another to ask this question, but I do have a flash drive, as well as other forms of moving something from this one to the other one. Is there anything I can use to recover all of these files?

you need to run the HP restore disk first, this will reinstall the operating system and installed software. after that is complete, then you can use your recovery cds to restore your personal data. For future reference, consider getting an extra hard drive as a back up or an external drive, and use an imaging software to make a complete image of the drive that can be restored. My favorite is Redo backup and recovery, its a free live cd that is very easy to use, it will make a complete snapshot of your drive into a backup drive of same size or larger, check the link below.

Back