How do I train my GSD not to whine?

Bella

May 12, 2008
My fiance and I moved in together about a year ago. He brought with him his champion line (we use the same vet as the dogs parents, have done our research, so I know this is a fact) purebred long haird GSD whom they named Colonal. Before, Colonal lived at my/fiance's parents house. They bought him for his daughter (she was 3y.o then) when my fiance divorced and moved home. But (I hate this, but i wasnt around at the time) my fiance's mom is very afraid of dogs, so, Colonal was an outdoor dog. during the day, when everyone was at work or school, he was tied to a very long runner, & at night, he would sleep in the garage. when my fiance was home he trained the dog, let him run around, played with him outside, gave him love & attention. Colonal is fairly well trained, is not too bad on a leash (he pulls, but is certainly controlable. he could definitely be better, but for his size, what he does is not bad. my fiances 9 year old daughter can hang onto him w/o a problem).
when he's off leash, he stays right on the property, comes when called & is generally a very good dog. now that they've moved in with me, he is an indoor dog (thank God) and leads a good life with the family inside. i only have 2 problems with him: 1) he is extremely whiny... I talked to the vet and researched online, so i know this is normal for GSDs, but cant find any real advice how to make it stop, or, happen only when necessary, like wheen he needs to go outside. 2) if we're relaxing at night, just sitting around on the couch, & i move; not to get up, not make any movement that looks like i want him (like clapping or slapping my thigh or anything) just shifting to get more comfortable, he jumps up & comes over. he is restless. if i get up to go to the bathroom, he jumps up to follow my house is 1 floor, open floor plan, he can pretty much see me wherever i am from the living room, unless ive shut a door or gone into one of the 2 bedrooms (i think he does this to everyone, but truthfully, i only notice when its annoying me). if im cooking in the kitchen, he's sitting right there, if i tell him to go, he'll walk away, make a U turn and come right back NO MATTER WHAT! In the morning, if i so much as roll over in bed, or move the blanket, he hears me and comes running in, whining all the way. Oh, one other thing, he doesnt realize how big he is; i admit, my house is probably a little too small for a 90lb dog (plus we have another 65lb mutt. she was my dog b4 they moved in. Colonal and my dog, Cleo, are practically inseperable) when he's excited, he runs around in circles, knocking things over with his tail, hitting & poking me with his slobbery, wet nose, stepping on my feet, or running into me with his body. I really think he doesnt even realize it cause a lot of times, he'll turn around so quickly or get up, that he'll smash his poor head into the wall or coffee table. he does this when i go to put him on his runner to go outside to go potty. I have been trying to train him to be more calm, like my dog is when i have to be so close to him (for affection or to put a leash on, or even leave the house). to make him sit and wait before he gets what he wants, but the lesson only seems to stick for 2 seconds and then, its the same thing the next time i go to leave the house, come home, go to let him outside or take him for a walk, bring in groceries, etc. when we do give him love & affection, he doesnt seem to realize that i dont want his snout poking me & licking me & what not. My dog is a 65lb femal mutt, 1 year younger than him. she is much more mellow, more easily trainable, knows what shes supposed to do to get what she wants. she, on the other hand, cant be let off leash or she will run & not come back till she's ready. That is her only real fault. I tried training her to come when called and not run off, but apparently, i didnt know how to properly. if she needs to go potty, she paces from me to the door and back, or will stand by the door staring at me. then, she'll calmly stand there while i hook her to the runner and go do her thing. she doesnt rush to the front door and knock things over or body slam me, drool, or poke me with her nose. she doesnt whine at all & she doesnt jump up & follow me everywhere. she's a great companion who lays calmly with me while i work on the computer from the couch or bed, and if i need to move her, i either tell her to move, or i pick up the body part that needs moving, head, foot, butt, & move it. when im preparing them dinner, she sits & waits and wont move to eat until i tell her. Colonal is getting better at this. (she has her bad dog faults, but at least she isnt so annoying). i thought she would show him how to be a good indoor dog. yes, he's coming along, but SSOOO SLOWLY!!! & the whining and dependency is not getting any better. He's 4 years old. He's a wonderful dog & I love him dearly, dont get me wrong, but, any advice on getting

Back