How do I tell if a generator is generating DC or AC Electricity?

TuNguyen

Aug 12, 2011
We had two motors, plugged the first one into the DC outlet of a power pack at 2V, attached the rotating arm with a rubber band to the rotating arm of the other motor, and connected the second motor to a Multimeter to measure the peak Voltage generated, as both motors spun.

It recorded a constant reading of about 1V? is this DC or AC electricity? How did you know?
Thankyou, i will be sure to use the oscilloscope next time :) However, we've already conducted the experiment, and it is a tad late to find and use the oscilloscope :(

is there any other way to differentiate between whether the electricity produced was AC or DC?
The multimeter was set to the V m setting, at 20. Would it have changed if it was set to the V~ setting?

and also, both motors were small, cheap, simple motors. If we had plugged the first into the AC outlet of the power pack, would that have changed anything?

If the motor could only be used on DC electricity, does it also hold true that the same motor can only produce DC electricity?

Make sure the multimeter is set according to the type of electricity powered e.g. DC measurement for Dc and vice versa. For AC though you need to convert it from RMS to peak value, i think it was divide the value found on the multimeter by the square root of 2.

Use an oscilloscope.

Or, what mode is your multimeter in? Multimeters do NOT read peak voltage, they read DC or AC RMS.

Note that some multimeters on the AC volts mode will deflect for a DC input also. If you connect a 0.1µF cap between the signal and the meter you will know that it reads only AC.

you gotta use an oscilloscope if it indicated a straight line then its a DC current and if it indicated a wavy line then its a AC current :) good luck
yea well try to get any thing that needs a DC current to work and connect it to the generator if it didnt work then the current produced is a AC current

Back