How do I record my laptop's monitor to a dvd player?

Me567

Jan 10, 2012
I am trying to record my Dell Studio's 1555's monitor to a dvd player. I know there are some programs which can record your monitor, such as Camstudio and Camtasia but I've had it crash mid-record, which means I won't be able to make a video file from what it had recorded previously- it goes to waste.

What I want to do is connect my laptop to my VCR/DVD combo machine and record preferably on a DVD, though I could record on a VCR tape as well. This way if my computer crashes I'll still have everything up to the point it crashed (the only other option is a point a camcorded directly at the screen)

My question really is, what kind of ports does my laptop need to do this? The only in ports my VCR/DVD player has is an S-Video and component port (all three colors) so obviously I'd need one end would need to be S-video (the player side is a female S-video, so it would have to be a male S-video connector on that end) My laptop also has an HDMI, VGA and IEEE1394a (firewire) but it doesn't say whether those are for input or output

Will it work outputting video from the monitor using a USB to S-video (and composite yellow, and white) cable? Or does it specifically have to be video-out (which the manual doesn't say I have any ports of. I've been trying to google such a device, but it's been difficult to find the specific, putting in "USB to S-video with composite audio male S-video connector" hasn't been working too good, some that say USB to S-video are actually the other way around the device to the computer, to computer to the device.

Also, I wonder if there are any devices which are hard drives with a record build it, connect my monitor to those and they'll record, since a hard drive can hold more than any DVD or Blu-ray
I meant on the player it has three COMPOSITE in ports, not a component one (it's easy to get them confused)

Back