How do I keep my cat from peeing on the carpet!!!?

Romulus

Apr 1, 2009
I have 4 cats. The last one, a male, I've had for nearly 2 years. I had him fixed about a year and a half ago. I thought it was strange, but a little cute that he would pee in the bathtub once in a while. Not EVERY time, he used the box mostly, but he would occasionally use the tub, usually when I was in there using the restroom also.
I moved into a new, larger home in October of last year. My sister and her young son moved in a month later to stay with me temporarily. I work a lot, and am not home much, so they have become pretty close to the cats, as well as my female Miniature Pinscher who, since moving, is an outside dog because of her potty training problems!
This "newest" cat, Oedipus is his name, evidently began to pee on the carpet up against the wall in the living room. I wondered why it started to smell bad, and I noticed that he had pooped there a few times, and I picked it up and disposed of it, and showed him the litter box. . . but I just didn't realize immediately that he was peeing. I bought a steam cleaner. I used hydrogen peroxide. I used carpet cleaner. I used odorzout. I used the enzyme stuff for cat urine from the petstore. I used two bottles of expensive enzyme cat urine killing stuff that everyone recommended that I bought online. I used peppermint oil. Lemon oil. Vinegar. And then, I tried even ammonia and bleach (What a moron!) which obviously stunk to high heaven and ruined the carpet, but FINALLY got the smell out! I bought another litter box, and put it in the place where he was peeing. I clean it twice a day, to make sure that it is nice for him.
Two weeks had gone by, and I thought I was safe. I was wrong. Today I caught him peeing on the carpet right behind the new litter box. I almost hit the roof. I almost killed him!
I don't know what to do. I realize that part of it may be the move. Part of it may be that he is not adjusting to the new people in his life (my sister and her son). Part of it may be that I have the dog outside all of the time now, and they were buddies. But the three other cats have had absolutely NO problem adjusting. It's as if they've been there all the time, they're happy and good and nice and everything is wonderful. It's just Oedi who is giving me all these problems. . . and I don't know what to do to fix it. He seems healthy. He does use the box, also. So I doubt it's an infection, although I am going to definitely schedule a vet appointment to make sure. But, I am at the point now where I am either going to give him away (which will break my heart, and piss off the new owners for sure!) or I am going to let him be an outdoor cat (which is not safe, and which will kill me if I see him squashed on the side of the road one day). I didn't want my house to smell like a petting zoo, that's why I have the dog outside now. I am a clean person, and I work very VERY hard to be neat and tidy and I don't want a stinky house. What do I do? I can't handle this anymore!

Back