How do I introduce a character?

MorganFincher

Nov 25, 2011
I'm currently writing a book, and I'm having a little trouble introducing my characters. I've looked around on the internet for something that would help me, but either the article don't help or I didn't understand them! Can someone please explain?

There isn't something like a formula that is used to introduce a character.
However, there are a few principles to follow that can help you when you want to introduce one.

Before you introduce a character , first make sure that the character relates to the story.
Do not give the reader the back story of that character immediately after introducing him/her. First create an incident then explain how the character behaved and to justify why he/she behaved that way or said what he/ she said, give a background story.
Then build emotions.By building the character emotions, you also build your reader’s emotions for the character. Take your reader on an emotional ride, and they won’t be able to stop turning the pages.
It usually works out well if there is a reason to introduce that character.The simplest way perharps is to make a short profile of the character in a notebook. the characters age, name,looks, personality, behavioural problems, how the character takes on certain situations that could potentially arise, the characters past(if relevant) then youcan have ease putting them into the story

Well first their thoughts and what they are thinking, 'weather, problems, views etc'
Then their appearance, He had a _________ body, with _____ of____ and _____ face yet bored look.

Where are you having trouble at, exactly? there are many ways.
It all depends (for me anyway) on the flow of your story. I.E. introduce the POV character first, perhaps describe them a little bit just to give the reader an idea.
And as the happenings in the story move along and other characters come in, show them coming in, describe them through the narrative and perhaps introduce their personalities through the POV of the main character or their dialog and how they meet up with the other characters in that scene that you've already introduced.

Sorry, I'm trying to help but it's hard to give a definite answer, but I hope it was clear enough for what you wanted help with :D

Well, you should try the "show not tell" thing they teach you in kindergarten. Reveal the character's name, and physical trait about her, like "A red-haired girl named Elizabeth strutted over to their table" but let her actions show her personality. See, because I said that Elizabeth was "strutting", this suggests that she might be a conceited or very self-confident character.

Don't show every aspect of her. Leave some things to the reader's imagination. If a feature is significant, then you can tell the reader. So, if the character is very short or very tall, then you can say, "A tall red-haired girl named Elizabeth..." Or, if this character has got very big eyes, you could say, "As Elizabeth came closer into view, her large eyes became noticeable."

I don't agree with the first answer. Whenever you do that people tend to get uninterested. I like it when I can tell what the character is like by how they act or what they say, you know typical characterization. Not when you go: This is Maryanne she has big green eyes, brown hair, is of medium height and likes to fight a lot because she has a feisty personality. She hangs out with her friends on Fridays dresses in a punk style etc. That's just a list of what she looks like and does as opposed to a story.

I would much rather like to read something like: Maryanne threw daggers at Alex with her big green eyes. He stared back at her fearfully, he knew he shouldn't have pushed it too far. Now he was in big trouble. She wasn't going to let it slide easily. It was pretty pathetic of him to be so scared of a girl but she wasn't just a girl. She had a history of leaving people in the hospital if they messed with her.

I think something that will help you is this, YOUR CHARACTER IS WHAT'S INSIDE OF YOU not what your character looks like or wears. People mistake that a lot, I know I did at first. I think you should subtly put in the characters appearance like here and there but what matters most is what situation your character is in when your introducing them you know? If that isn't enough I will put a website in the source box for you. I hope it useful to you introducing characters is so hard but if you see other examples of how people introduce their characters than you will probably start picking up on it. You should search up examples if the website doesn't help. Sorry I feel like this wasn't as helpful as I wanted it to be.

My old writing mentor always said there were two ways to introduce a character, through personal narrative, or through an action sequence.

In personal narrative, stress your character's point of view. For example, "Monique was having a bad day. Not only had her boyfriend called and cancelled their date that night, but as he was doing so Monique had distinctly heard a girl giggling in the background, and she was sure that it her own best friend, Shelly!"

So, we know that Monique is angry, upset, her boyfriend is fooling around, and her best friend has stabbed her in the back. All that in two sentences! The next paragraph would deal with Monique's grief, and her physical description could be included in that, too.

In an action sequence, your character appears as a player. For example, "Brad swung the car around the corner, the Bally loafer on his right foot smashing the accelerator to the floor. The Mustang's engine responded with a roar of power, the wheels screaming as the rubber melted under stress, speed, and friction. The car's ragtop roof suddenly popped off and sailed away, and the air made his blond hair dance in the sudden breeze. A bullet sailed past his face, so close it nicked his neck; a crimson river on alabaster skin."

So, we know that Bradley is caucasian, drives a Ford Mustang, dresses in fancy clothes, has blond hair, drives very fast, and seems to be chasing somebody who is firing a gun at him.

Hope that helps.

Back