How do I get a dvd to work in all dvd players?

nathan

May 14, 2008
I asked a question earlier and I think I didn't provide enough information for people to give me a correct answer. I asked:

"I burned a video in .mpg format on a +R dvd. It plays in my computer and in all computers that I know of but it won't play in some of the dvd players I've been using. It doesn't have an opening menu, it's just a plain video in mpg format. I have tried it on a -R dvd as well and it also doesn't work. Are the dvd players just out of date or am I doing something wrong?"

I should have added that I am using a program called Burn for mac:
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

A lot of people told me that I need to author the dvd instead of just burning the dvd as a data dvd. This program does author the video and also encodes it in mpg format. Every answer that I got in my earlier question was along those lines and none of them helped me. So I will reiterate my question in a different form that will perhaps make more sense to people.

I burned a dvd with all the appropriate files (vob) and folders (video_ts and audio_ts). The video will play in some dvd players but in others it either won't play at all or the frames will move rapidly up the screen so that the video isn't remotely viewable. This once again confirms my thought that the dvd does not just consist of one data file (mpg). Now, knowing this, is there anything I might be doing wrong like burning it in the wrong format or using the wrong software or playing the dvd in incompatible dvd players?

Back